Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Upgraded BOSE sound system with JL Sub?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2004, 10:10 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Infiniti G35 Coupe
Upgraded BOSE sound system with JL Sub?

If I wanted to install 2 JL Audio 12W7 subs, an amp, and a box(possibly a custom one made by West Coast Customs), could I use the stock upgraded BOSE sound system's deck hand in hand with the two subs?

EDIT: BTW, my car is a 99 E320
Old 06-18-2004, 07:31 AM

Hmmm

Does your current system have a Bose headunit and separate amp? If so, the connection between the headunit and amp is most probably a fiber optic connection. In this situation, the only way to give your sub amp a signal would be to splice into the rear speaker wires and use a line-out converter.
Old 07-06-2004, 05:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C 320 CDI 4M W204 / C43 AMG (W202) / C 220 CDI T (S203) / ZX-10R Ninja
Originally Posted by HafizMk
Does your current system have a Bose headunit and separate amp? If so, the connection between the headunit and amp is most probably a fiber optic connection. In this situation, the only way to give your sub amp a signal would be to splice into the rear speaker wires and use a line-out converter.
That's what I did. I took the signal for the amp from the rear speaker with a converter. Works without problems and sounds good.
Old 07-06-2004, 09:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by HafizMk
That's not true. MOST of the Bose systems are connected via analog wires between the amp and the head unit. It is definitely on his car. Models with Bose that have fibre optic connections from head unit to amp are 2001+ C-class, 2000+ S/CL-class, 2003+ CLK-class (coupe), 2004+ CLK-class (cab), and the M-class starting in some recent year. That's a whole lot of older cars with Bose that use analog connections.

-s-
Old 07-06-2004, 09:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by Teck
That's what I did. I took the signal for the amp from the rear speaker with a converter. Works without problems and sounds good.
It would sound better if you took the signal BEFORE the amp... it would probably be compatible with the line inputs on your new amp.

-s-
Old 07-06-2004, 10:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C 320 CDI 4M W204 / C43 AMG (W202) / C 220 CDI T (S203) / ZX-10R Ninja
Originally Posted by scorchie
It would sound better if you took the signal BEFORE the amp... it would probably be compatible with the line inputs on your new amp.

-s-
True but I wanted a simple solution at this time...but I'll change soon.

About the connections are you right, just asked a mechanic
Old 07-12-2004, 01:52 PM

1993 300CE, 1999 528i
If you have money to blow go with the W7s, if you want just as good performance for less, look into the Resonant Engineering XXX, or the Crystal COMPx2, or the Orion H2, or the Phoenix Gold Ti Elite, or the Stereo Integrity MAgnum D2, or Eclipse Ti, or even the Image Dynamics IDMAX, all very very capable subs that can run with the W7 for much less money, just some food for thought, because I am so tired of people being blinded by the JL hype and not seeing that there are so many other companies out there that build just as good or better products for a lot less $$$