Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

How do I wire up COMAND HU coded to "no amp"?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 10:26 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2012 E63 AMG Wagon
How do I wire up COMAND HU coded to "no amp"?

I'm looking to convert my H/K Logic 7 system into an old-school analog system, using some quality parts such as U.S. Amps & PPI amplification, PPI 31-band analog EQ, CDT Eurosport 3-ways, and Image Dynamics ID Max sub in a custom box. Only want a traditional 4-channel + sub configuration. I've ripped apart a few cars before so I'm no longer wet behind the ears so to speak.

First, from what I've read here I assume the only way to code the HU for no amp is using a Star diagnostics unit...if that's mistaken please let me know.

Otherwise, if I want to use the 4-ch line-level signal from the HU how is the wiring run to my outboard stuff? And can I use the factory wiring to the speakers? I haven't removed anything yet so don't know what I should be looking for. Thanks!

Last edited by amgggg...; 07-21-2018 at 02:52 PM.
Old 07-23-2018, 01:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55, 2002 | E550 2014
I am in similar situation, only difference that I want to go 3-way active speaker setup for front only and disable rest of the speakers.
Well, what I gathered so far, is that you can code HU for no amp through engineering menu in COMAND (google it, I do not remember from top of my head for button combination, something like "pickup phone"+"1"+"# ").
As I understood you can get 4-ch unprocessed signal directly from HU, but you have to run wire from HU to amp location.
You can use factory speaker wires, but they run individually to each raw speaker, because crossovers are built in in factory amplifier. The only thing is not clear front doors midrange and tweeter, some folks says it is common wire for both of them and tweeter protected by a capacitor, other says they are on individual wires from factory amp.
Still looking for exact details.
Old 07-23-2018, 02:38 PM

2012 E63 AMG Wagon
Thanks syuri, that's a good start. Hopefully jbondox will reply as well, since I think he's the one who mentioned this was possible to start with.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:53 PM

2012 E63 AMG Wagon
Well, I found the pin out diagram for the HU harness (NGT 4.5 version): http://indvideo.com/mercedes-benz-nt...mand-pin-spec/
The following users liked this post:
syuri (07-24-2018)
Old 07-24-2018, 09:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55, 2002 | E550 2014
amgggg... , you are the man! That is great info I was looking for long time.
Now we need to find pin out diagram for speaker wires coming from amplifier in a trunk ;-)
How is your progress on upgrading?
Old 07-24-2018, 11:23 PM

2012 E63 AMG Wagon
I'm happy I could help. Still trying to decide whether I want to use a processor such as Mobridge or Audison and also change the front door speakers. Opening up the dash and doors will turn this into a major project.

Staying simple and 100% analog was my original plan, but using newer technology is so tempting.

Last edited by amgggg...; 07-24-2018 at 11:26 PM.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2004 SL55, 2015 A250d, 2016 GLC250d
You can tell the unit to send its audio through the speaker outputs in engineering mode, so you don;t need Xentry Diagnosis. I don;t have a W212 near by to tell you where the setting is, but seem to recall it is in H/W settings -> TGW settings. (And don't forget to do the reset after the change) - If you look on You tube there is info there

The factory wiring to the speakers goes to the amp which is in the trunk. So I'd probably replace the amp there, and run some Speaker -> RCA converters and RCA leads between.

Easiest thing for wiring the head unit is to get a SOT lead for Mercedes and then use that to run to the RCA converter as there is no speaker connector in your Quadlock at the moment ..

Cheers

RIchard
The following 2 users liked this post by Richard:
amgggg... (07-25-2018), syuri (07-25-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 04:14 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
E55 AMG, CLK 113K Swap. 2005 SL600
Originally Posted by syuri
I am in similar situation, only difference that I want to go 3-way active speaker setup for front only and disable rest of the speakers.
Well, what I gathered so far, is that you can code HU for no amp through engineering menu in COMAND (google it, I do not remember from top of my head for button combination, something like "pickup phone"+"1"+"# ").
As I understood you can get 4-ch unprocessed signal directly from HU, but you have to run wire from HU to amp location.
You can use factory speaker wires, but they run individually to each raw speaker, because crossovers are built in in factory amplifier. The only thing is not clear front doors midrange and tweeter, some folks says it is common wire for both of them and tweeter protected by a capacitor, other says they are on individual wires from factory amp.
Still looking for exact details.
the tweeter has a capacitor on it.