Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

euro comand - aux connection

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2004, 01:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
euro comand - aux connection

i had a question regarding the aux connection on back of my euro comand unit. specifically, wiring it properly. i found some info from the web however the last paragraph is what i am a bit confused about.

"The input connections are on the C2 connector and are as follows: -

Right Signal 4

Right Ground 5

Left Signal 13

Left Ground 14

Shielded 3 core cable should be used with the shield connected to pin 14 of connector C2."

i know that if one was to splice up an RCA cable for example, you will have a left signal, right signal and they tend to share the common ground (shielding). so from the above paragraph, if i use a shileded 3 core cable, do i not connect to pin 5???? but only to pin 14? or can i split up the shield (ground) into two and plug one half into pin 5 and the other half into pin14.

scorchie or anyone else, can you shed some light on this please? would it be ok to split up the shield ground to pin 5 and 14? currently everything seems to works fine i just dont feel conformatble about common ground on a non-common ground system.

thnxs in advance
Old 06-04-2004, 02:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Re: euro comand - aux connection

Originally posted by linuxfoo
i had a question regarding the aux connection on back of my euro comand unit. specifically, wiring it properly. i found some info from the web however the last paragraph is what i am a bit confused about.

"The input connections are on the C2 connector and are as follows: -

Right Signal 4

Right Ground 5

Left Signal 13

Left Ground 14

Shielded 3 core cable should be used with the shield connected to pin 14 of connector C2."

i know that if one was to splice up an RCA cable for example, you will have a left signal, right signal and they tend to share the common ground (shielding). so from the above paragraph, if i use a shileded 3 core cable, do i not connect to pin 5???? but only to pin 14? or can i split up the shield (ground) into two and plug one half into pin 5 and the other half into pin14.

scorchie or anyone else, can you shed some light on this please? would it be ok to split up the shield ground to pin 5 and 14? currently everything seems to works fine i just dont feel conformatble about common ground on a non-common ground system.

thnxs in advance
Actually, the connections I have listed from Bosch are:

Pin 04 Kassette NF rechts
Pin 05 Kassette NF Masse
Pin 13 Kassette NF links
Pin 14 Kassette NF Schirm

So pin 5 is ground, pin 14 is shield... and in reality, they are connected.

Also, my experience is that a 1/8" stereo plug has a shared ground, and a set of dual RCAs has two grounds. I haven't seen a dual-RCA cable with a shared ground. But you can share these, because they are input for stereo sound, it isn't that the speakers and power supply are grounded together!

-s-
Old 06-04-2004, 03:08 AM

kool thanxs for the quick reply. i finally hooked up my 3rd gen ipod after seeing yours and man i love it.

i was only worried because sometimes on my ipod, i hear a noise sounding like a hard drive spin, and it seems to happeen for every 5th song or so, but its liveable considering i haven't had a cd changer since my euro comand install.

thnxs for the inspiration scorchie, it sure beats the changer!!!

ps, you were correct on the pin layout? my mistake.
Old 06-04-2004, 03:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by linuxfoo
kool thanxs for the quick reply. i finally hooked up my 3rd gen ipod after seeing yours and man i love it.

i was only worried because sometimes on my ipod, i hear a noise sounding like a hard drive spin, and it seems to happeen for every 5th song or so, but its liveable considering i haven't had a cd changer since my euro comand install.

thnxs for the inspiration scorchie, it sure beats the changer!!!

ps, you were correct on the pin layout? my mistake.
Post pictures!

Do you get the noise over the speakers when you hear it? My iPod doesn't give any noise at all through the stereo. I also have the power supply hooked up so that gives an additional ground path. Make sure your connections are really good! Very important as the voltages are slow, so slight resistance can cause electrical noise.

-s-
Old 06-04-2004, 05:41 PM

yeah i will definately have to post some pic.

the way i got my 3rd gen ipod to work was that i bought a belkin auto charger / dock cable and took that apart, so mines also charges the ipod when the car is on and when the car is turned off, it pauses then turns off the ipod automatically. i get slight noise when changing every fith song and i should have tested the belkin charger first before taken it apart but failed to do so, but i have a feeling its has somehting to do with the belkin unit. this weekend, i will try to post some pics, i'm sure you will recognize the ashtray cubby replacement
Old 06-04-2004, 06:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 W210 E55->2003 R230 SL500->2004 W211 E55->2007 997TT+2007 E63->2010 GLK350->2012 E550 4matic
Question Belkin auto charger has auto pause/off

Does the Belkin automatically turn the 3G iPod off when you remove your ignition? I thought it only charges the unit?!

Thanks for the clarification in advance.
Old 06-04-2004, 08:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: Belkin auto charger has auto pause/off

Originally posted by W210
Does the Belkin automatically turn the 3G iPod off when you remove your ignition? I thought it only charges the unit?!

Thanks for the clarification in advance.
When the iPod is being charged, and power is removed, it will shut off after a period. At least that is how mine works. Could be only if it is not playing a song... can't be sure. I just know mine is shut off when I get back in, and it's not from the battery being dead.

-s-

Trending Topics

Old 06-07-2004, 01:59 AM

sorry for the late replies, there is somehting wrong with this website, wasn't able to resolve www.mbworld.org for some reason and finally found a way by using this link instead https://mbworld.org.

anyways, yes my 3rd gen ipod using the belkin charger first pauses the ipod and it turns off my off after a period because when i also get back to my car, the ipod is turned off and just pressing play again, plays form where it left off right before i turned off teh ignition.
Old 06-07-2004, 02:20 AM

here are some pic of my 3rd gen iPod in my C43. the adapter is hardwired to the aux connection on back of my comand unit.