Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

I have a 1984 Model 200 (W123) Original CASSETTE RADIO PROBLEM! Please help...

Old 02-19-2019, 12:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model 200
I have a 1984 Model 200 (W123) Original CASSETTE RADIO PROBLEM! Please help...

Hi I am Mark and I live in Virginia, and I just bought a 1984 Model 200 (W123) that was brought into the USA years ago from Europe and changed to meet US DOT standards, so it's a weird MB model to have in the USA since they were not normally sold in the USA new. Well anyways, it has the original AM/FM Cassette Blaupunkt Malibu CR 42 radio still installed and I would like to keep the car all original, so I want to be able to get my radio to work again, BUT it is showing a message in the LCD screen that says "CODE" when you turn on the radio! The radio doesn't play or make any sounds in either cassette mode or tuner mode probably because something is locking me out, but I'm not sure. The numbers on the screen in the photo are random numbers from me pushing the various buttons on the side of the radio. I have no clue WHAT this "CODE" message means, and I would love it if somebody here can explain this to me, and hopefully be able to help me figure out how to get my radio working again. I would appreciate any valued assistance!
Old 04-19-2019, 02:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 S560 Cabrio, 2018 GLS450, 2020 GLB250
That model required a 4-digit pin code to be entered if power was disconnected. This was a function to help prevent car stereo theft. The pin code is printed on an index size card with the vehicle's manuals. If you don't have it, Mercedes previously aloud an owner to prove ownership by the vehicle's VIN number and radio's serial number. They would then provide the pin code. Hopefully Mercedes still maintains this database. If not I have a Nakamichi TD-500 cassette deck available for sale which was a popular stereo upgrade replacement. I am in Miami FL if you are local and want to check it out.