Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Audio Help for W209 with Nav head unit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 03:27 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W209
Audio Help for W209 with Nav head unit

I am in need of help from any audio expert with a Benz. I have just installed Diamond Audio S600s speakers in the front S500s in the rear with a JL Audio 300/4 for power. I am using an Audio Control EQS from the head unit to keep the stock head unit. I have navigation.

The cross-overs are set to 60Hz/HP/12db slope. At low to mid volumes they sound good, when I turn the volume up loud they sound distorted and like crap. The lyrics begin to crackle. Some people have informed me the problem is related to the bose unit sending signal out as 2ohm and everything reads at 4ohm. The car is a 2004 CLK 500. Does anyone have experience with this? Is their any way to get extremely loud and clear sound with the stock head unit?

Thanks for any help in advance!
Old 06-29-2004, 04:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by TheRok
I am in need of help from any audio expert with a Benz. I have just installed Diamond Audio S600s speakers in the front S500s in the rear with a JL Audio 300/4 for power. I am using an Audio Control EQS from the head unit to keep the stock head unit. I have navigation.

The cross-overs are set to 60Hz/HP/12db slope. At low to mid volumes they sound good, when I turn the volume up loud they sound distorted and like crap. The lyrics begin to crackle. Some people have informed me the problem is related to the bose unit sending signal out as 2ohm and everything reads at 4ohm. The car is a 2004 CLK 500. Does anyone have experience with this? Is their any way to get extremely loud and clear sound with the stock head unit?

Thanks for any help in advance!
Have the Bose Audiopilot microphone disconnected. You are likely getting feedback from the Audiopilot which is unfamiliar with the new equipment you've installed.

Also, how are you feeding your amps? From the speaker outputs of the head unit, or the speaker outputs of the Bose? In either case, it seems you are running your own amp with your own speakers so the 2/4 ohm issue is not relevant.

-s-
Old 06-29-2004, 01:41 PM
Almost a Member!

W209
I am not sure what the Bose Audiopilot is. I disabled the Bose audio speed senstive system.

I am going from COMMAND with fiber out to the Bose amp then line out to the EQS with RCA's to the amp's. The sound is fine with low to mid volumes. Its once I set the volume really loud that the lyrics begin to distort.

How and where is the Audiopilot?

Thanks
Old 06-29-2004, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1986 560SEL, 97 BMW 740iL
When I wanted to install the Alpine IVA D900 into my coupe, the guy said it would be better if I just bypass the factory amp and use the power from the Alpine unit itself. Reason was that the factory amp would has some noises if used with non factory unit. So, I bypassed it and there isn't any hissing noise and it sounds just as good as before.
Old 06-29-2004, 03:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by TheRok
I am not sure what the Bose Audiopilot is. I disabled the Bose audio speed senstive system.

I am going from COMMAND with fiber out to the Bose amp then line out to the EQS with RCA's to the amp's. The sound is fine with low to mid volumes. Its once I set the volume really loud that the lyrics begin to distort.

How and where is the Audiopilot?

Thanks
The Audiopilot is a microphone that is connected to the Bose amp. You need to disconnect the microphone. I don't know where the microphone is physically located in your car, but the wiring harness coming from the Bose amplifier has one set of wires (two wires I believe) that go to a 3-position connector, about 1-2 feet from the Bose amp (usually on 203s, not sure on the 209). You can disconnect this connector and the microphone will no longer function, and the Audiopilot feature will not cause problems any longer.

If you need further information please search in the forums, I believe this has been covered before.

-s-