Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

'01 Command - Audio cuts out

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2004, 01:50 PM
jt2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'01 Command - Audio cuts out

The car is a 2001 E55 with every option.

When the phone is powered on, the audio will randomly mute, as if you hit a button on the phone, or a call was coming in. Doesn't happen with the phone powered off or unplugged.

I've replaced the phone itself, and the coiled cable to no avail.

Any other suggestions? The cable to the phone has a RJ45 jack. It looks like the cable isn't the original, so I'm thinking it might be the jack. Can't imagine what nightmare changing that would be.

I'm hoping someone else has seen this... Service writer at the dealer just shrugged, meaning to me "leave it here for a week, and expect a huge bill..." I'd like to find a better alternative.
Old 07-17-2004, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by jt2
The car is a 2001 E55 with every option.

When the phone is powered on, the audio will randomly mute, as if you hit a button on the phone, or a call was coming in. Doesn't happen with the phone powered off or unplugged.

I've replaced the phone itself, and the coiled cable to no avail.

Any other suggestions? The cable to the phone has a RJ45 jack. It looks like the cable isn't the original, so I'm thinking it might be the jack. Can't imagine what nightmare changing that would be.

I'm hoping someone else has seen this... Service writer at the dealer just shrugged, meaning to me "leave it here for a week, and expect a huge bill..." I'd like to find a better alternative.
You may have a bad PSE (phone controller) or a bad wiring harness. I have seen the phone wiring harnesses cause strange problems in W210 and W208 cars, and in one W220 and one W209. In all cases, the dealers never diagnosed the problem and gave up after replacing all the phone electronics. It turned out to be the harness.

In more cases than that, I've seen bad PSEs, but usually these cause more problems with the fibre loop (such as CD player becoming unusable). Also, the phone interruption signal is carried over the fibre optic on your year, but the wiring between the phone and PSE is discrete wiring, and a short on one of those could indicate a false incoming call to the PSE.

Maybe you can find someone locally willing to trade parts with you for a test, such as the PSE. You may also want to try jiggling the wires under the center console to see if it causes any unexpected muting issues.

Incidentally, the phone jack is not an RJ45.

-s-
Old 07-17-2004, 06:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'14 E350 wagon; BMW G12 (2020) G01 (2019)
On my '01 S500, when the stereo mutes out for a second or two, it means I have a message waiting on my phone. Apparently this is the way you are notified of voicemails, as no tone plays. Could be as simple as that. Check it out first before you start swapping parts.
Old 07-17-2004, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by weinschela
On my '01 S500, when the stereo mutes out for a second or two, it means I have a message waiting on my phone. Apparently this is the way you are notified of voicemails, as no tone plays. Could be as simple as that. Check it out first before you start swapping parts.
Do you have something weird set on your phone, like no message waiting tone? Because mine beeps when I have a message waiting. This s a 2001 car with a Timeport.

-s-
Old 07-18-2004, 10:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'14 E350 wagon; BMW G12 (2020) G01 (2019)
Mine is a Timeport also. I don't think its set for anything unusual -- and when I have voicemail and the phone is not in the cradle, it gives me a tone. I guess it may be an issue with the system in the car -- but I have only a couple of months left on the lease, so I can live with it.