Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Command NTG 2.5: help needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2020, 12:00 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
W211, X166
Command NTG 2.5: help needed

Hi all,

I have a few questions about Command NTG 2.5, and I would appreciate it if someone could answer them or share their experience. A few years ago, I changed my factory original Audio 50 to NTG 2.5 (I drive W211, 2003). I didn't have time nor info to complete the retrofit, and there are a few issues that I still would like to fix. The questions are as follows:
1. How to update the firmware (It currently reads cards of no more than 2GB).
2. I have Command made before 2008, and as far as I know, it does not have an antitheft lock that binds to a specific VIN. In case of updating the firmware, will the device become a "brick"? Will the antitheft function be activated in the new firmware?
3. At the moment the HDD Protection function is enabled in the engineering menu. The code is required to remove it. Is it a standard code or unique? How to find or reset it?
4. After installing Command, the CD changer door stopped working (it should open with a pressing of the bottom of the emergency button). Is there any solution that restores its performance? I contacted commandonline.co.uk, and they told me that the solution exists, but they don't know what exactly or how it works.
5. When the ignition is turned off, and the key is pulled out, my phone calls get disconnected even if I switch the phone in advance from the car to the internal speaker or speakerphone. It is very annoying. I don't know if the new firmware helps to solve this issue, but if there is another way to fix it, that would be great. I'm from Victoria, BC, and already called all independent shops, except the dealership, and got absolutely no results.

Thank you all in advance.

Old 02-01-2020, 12:15 PM

W211, X166
Can anyone help?
Old 05-18-2020, 02:09 AM

W211, X166
Ok. A few months have passed by and I have received zero replies here. Fortunately, I met a very knowledgable person who was able to help with all my needs, including the NTG upgrade. If you need any help, especially if you have a very unique, complicated case, contact Peter aka pmercury It was an absolute pleasure to meet him and I'm very thankful for all his help.
I'm going to answer my own questions now in case someone else is interested:

1. The firmware can be upgraded with a single DVD recorded with the latest firmware.
2. NTG 2.5 manufactured before 2008 can be safely upgraded. The antitheft function will not be activated.
3. HDD Protection function is still enabled in the engineering menu after the firmware has been upgraded. I left it as is.
4. The only option to activate the CD changer door, in my case, is to find the old module that had been made by Kabel Daviko as he doesn't make them anymore.
5. With a new firmware upgrade, if the phone call was switched from car Bluetooth to a phone speaker, removing a key from the ignition now doesn't disconnect the phone call. That's the most desirable feature of the new firmware.

Hope it helps. Once again, a huge shout out to Peter!
The following users liked this post:
turbonos7 (05-28-2020)