Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

MBenzNL UHI phone kits (longish post, some pics)

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.

Old 08-07-2004, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'04 CLK 320
Sony Ericsson kit work with new K700i?

I have been a devout owner of Sony Ericsson phones and recently upgraded from my T630 to the K700. The two phones are quite similar and use the same attachments. I read that the P900 is not compatible with the kit. Does anyone know if the K700 is compatible with the Sony Ericsson kit?

Thanks!

2004 CLK 320
COMAND
Disctronic
Old 08-07-2004, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
will have to wait and see if it fits in the cradle and makes a connection.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,238 Likes on 2,017 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by scorchie
If you have a pre-2002 car, it is recommended that you change your antenna to a multiband antenna. This can be done quite expensively using an aftermarket part, or an OEM part can be used to replace your original antenna (more expensive). This will greatly increase the quality of your reception. If you have a pre-2002 car and already have a phone kit installed, it is recommended that you ensure your compensator is multiband ready, or bypass it (with included adapter) or replace the antenna.
Can you elaborate a bit on the multi-band antenna or compensator? How to tell the difference or do you have the OEM part numbers? Or aftermarket antenna links?

Does the bypass adapter actually affect Teleaid reception?

Thanks

Wolfman
Old 08-11-2004, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250D
USA cars have antennas for CDMA phones and their frequencies are not for GSM phones. If you add a GSM phone system to a USA car, the reception is very very poor. I would suggest a aftermarket Hirschmann stick on antenna. It mounts on the inside of the rear bumper or inside the rear glass. Reception is improved with this antenna and they are good quality and cheap. Using a bypass adapter in cars with teleaid will not affect teleaid at all since you are bypassing it.
Old 08-11-2004, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by sunman
USA cars have antennas for CDMA phones and their frequencies are not for GSM phones. If you add a GSM phone system to a USA car, the reception is very very poor. I would suggest a aftermarket Hirschmann stick on antenna. It mounts on the inside of the rear bumper or inside the rear glass. Reception is improved with this antenna and they are good quality and cheap. Using a bypass adapter in cars with teleaid will not affect teleaid at all since you are bypassing it.
Hmm, that's not been my experience with MY2002 and later cars... same frequencies. Even my late-build MY2001 car had the proper stuff already. I am getting, surprisingly even to me, GREAT reception.

-s-
Old 08-11-2004, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Wolfman
Can you elaborate a bit on the multi-band antenna or compensator? How to tell the difference or do you have the OEM part numbers? Or aftermarket antenna links?

Does the bypass adapter actually affect Teleaid reception?

Thanks

Wolfman
Do you have a MY 2002 or later US-spec car? Then you are set. I think I mentioned this...

The bypass adapter does not affect TeleAid operation.

We will be able to provide aftermarket antennas, however you can just get them from most anywhere. sunman posted that the Hirschmann works great for him.

-s-
Old 08-11-2004, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator

Do you have a MY 2002 or later US-spec car? Then you are set. I think I mentioned this...

The bypass adapter does not affect TeleAid operation.

We will be able to provide aftermarket antennas, however you can just get them from most anywhere. sunman posted that the Hirschmann works great for him.

-s-
Scorchie, you did mention the 2002+ being good to go. But our S500 is pre-2002 with a Motorola setup and the description wasn't specific enough to take action on (in terms of picking the best choice).

So if I understand you correctly, both the bypass-adapter or the replacement of the rubber-antenna works. Any preference to which one provides the better reception? What would be your choice?

I also assume that the installed compensator is not multiband and a throwaway...

Thanks for the info,

Wolfman
Old 08-11-2004, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Scorchie, you did mention the 2002+ being good to go. But our S500 is pre-2002 with a Motorola setup and the description wasn't specific enough to take action on (in terms of picking the best choice).

So if I understand you correctly, both the bypass-adapter or the replacement of the rubber-antenna works. Any preference to which one provides the better reception? What would be your choice?

I also assume that the installed compensator is not multiband and a throwaway...

Thanks for the info,

Wolfman
Wait a minute... you have an S500 with a rubber antenna? Or are you talking about two different cars here?

I didn't want to get into part numbers because it is going to vary on models (R230 SL for instance).

If the compensator isn't compatible, do as you suggest... bypass it and throw it away. Even if it is compatible... you may still want to do that. I bypassed mine in my CLK (which I have been using for UHI tests) and it works great.

Each car will have to be a case-by-case basis when it is a 2001 model.

I usually suggest that the owner install it with what he's got and see how it works for him. If it seems unacceptable, then replace the antenna with either OEM or aftermarket parts. Mine might just work well for me because of the coverage where I am using it.

-s-
Old 08-11-2004, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator

Wait a minute... you have an S500 with a rubber antenna? Or are you talking about two different cars here?
-s-
It's a W220 and I am talking about the little plastic/rubber antenna stub on top of the rear window.
I am frankly confused what this thing is actually for; Radio, GPS and/or Phone. Same confusion with the SL (R230). I was told that the antenna stub on the SL was for the phone so I assumed the same for the S-class...

Good news on the compensator though. Thanks!

Wolfman
Old 08-11-2004, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It's a W220 and I am talking about the little plastic/rubber antenna stub on top of the rear window.
OK, I think on the W220 it is plastic... that's why I was confused! Sorry about that.

On the W220... from what I can tell... the window antenna is for GPS and telephone. The backup TeleAid antenna is in the bumper. This information is different for nearly every model car!

(For instance... W208 CLK coupe 2000+ ... the rooftop antenna is GPS and primary TeleAid antenna... the bumper antenna is for telephone... the backup TeleAid antenna is in the parcel tray.)

-s-
Old 08-11-2004, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator

OK, I think on the W220 it is plastic... that's why I was confused! Sorry about that.

On the W220... from what I can tell... the window antenna is for GPS and telephone. The backup TeleAid antenna is in the bumper. This information is different for nearly every model car!

(For instance... W208 CLK coupe 2000+ ... the rooftop antenna is GPS and primary TeleAid antenna... the bumper antenna is for telephone... the backup TeleAid antenna is in the parcel tray.)

-s-
Go figure...

Scorchie, thanks for the info. What I was hoping is to simply replace that little plastic window antenna with the latest MY one and be sure to have the best reception. Still not sure if that would be it or if I should just buy an aftermarket antenna and hide it.

Personally I would prefer that I stay with the OEM product.

Wolfman
Old 08-11-2004, 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Go figure...

Scorchie, thanks for the info. What I was hoping is to simply replace that little plastic window antenna with the latest MY one and be sure to have the best reception. Still not sure if that would be it or if I should just buy an aftermarket antenna and hide it.

Personally I would prefer that I stay with the OEM product.

Wolfman
You'll probably be happier with the ease of installation and good performance of an aftermarket antenna, and it can be installed in a hidden location.

The information I got on your W220 antenna is from WIS, and it turns out that WIS says the rooftop antenna on my CLK is used for the phone system, even on cars with TeleAid... so it is lying. I bet your bumper antenna is used for the phone. Probably will only get the true answer by following the wires. I know on other W220s, I've seen the phone antenna wire go right into the bumper.

-s-
Old 08-11-2004, 08:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250D
Scorchie

i checked EPC and aparantly there are 3 part numbers for the antenna. One was for a fixed Nokia install. The other 2 are for UHI and Portable handsets. Not sure the frequency on each though. It might have been a dream too! I guess they must have just that one frequency setting for the antenna antenna for all cars then.
Old 08-11-2004, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

Sunman, Scorchie

Thanks for the good info! So if Sunman's info is it, should I just go and buy the UHI antenna?

Do you have the part number on the OEM or a model number on the Hirschmann (just in case)?

Thanks,

Wolfman
Old 08-23-2004, 06:02 PM

2001 SL500, designo blue and 2004 C320S
This is probably going to sound like a strange question. However, since we had to settle on a car w/o teleaid or command because (1) we wanted a SW with 3.2 engine not 2.6 (2) needed DARK interior and Light Exterior, had to dig out a 2004 and settle on one w/o command or teleaid.

So, I of course do not have an antenna at the back window (on the tail gate) or anywhere else other than all the built in diversity antennas on teh windows. I presume therefore, that I have to get an external antenna of some sort and this aftermarket hirshmann looks like a good choice.

Or, is standard factory installation in the 2004.5 model providing for the antenna coax connector to support the telephone/telaide preinstalled by the factory somewhere in the car, roof, etc., as normal practice and all I really need to get is a proper external rear window antenna.
Old 08-27-2004, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 Citron Green C230KMT
where do we find the UHI antenna sunman?
Old 09-03-2004, 05:45 PM
Almost a Member!

2000 SLK, 2003 CLK
Mercedes Phone Kit

I have no phone kit installed in my 03 W209. Do I need to get the mercedes kit installed and then get the UHI kit or is the mercedes not needed with the UHI?
Old 09-03-2004, 06:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 Citron Green C230KMT
no the UHI kit comes with everything you need except the phone.
Old 09-03-2004, 07:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2016 C450 AMG, 2009 C300, 2001 C320 2001 CLK430, 95 E500
Anyone know pricing on this item

I have checked their website, and cannot find any pricing, even though some early poster said it was there,

and all my emails to mbenzNL go unanswered.
Old 09-03-2004, 08:57 PM

2001 SL500, designo blue and 2004 C320S
Originally Posted by tivoboy
I have checked their website, and cannot find any pricing, even though some early poster said it was there,

I can't speak for Steve, but all my emails get answered and I'm really a pest -- especially since we're not moving forward until my wife decides on the phone she wants as replacement for her SE T39M (probably six months from now).

But as to your first question, Steve gave me a ball park estimate of $7-800 for my 04 W203S (US Spec C320 Wagon), but because there are so many variables regarding MBZ making the UHI holder available, and each model's standard equipment differs so greatly I don't think they can nail down the price until you actually find out they can get their hands on the UHI kit that fits your phone.
Old 09-04-2004, 02:30 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Nothing MB related (sorry)
And right you are, Las Vegas boy!

Greetingz,

BigSis
Old 09-04-2004, 02:35 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

I am sorry to hear that... MBenzNL receives many emails a day, and as you may already know, there are two persons working on the incoming mails. Some of them can only be replied by Steve himself, as the questions are too technical or too specific... And Steve does not have much spare time to reply all his emails. We do the best we can.

Greetingz,

BigSis
Old 09-04-2004, 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It may have been that the earlier post did NOT say that the pricing is on the website... please reread that... I think it also mentions to please not e-mail to inquire the price as it will be posted when it is ready. (If the price is not yet posted, the price hasn't been set... so to e-mail asking for the price is to ask for information that is not yet available, and the response could be held back waiting for the information.)

-s-
Old 09-06-2004, 12:07 AM

2000 E430 sport package
Originally Posted by BigSis
I am sorry to hear that... MBenzNL receives many emails a day, and as you may already know, there are two persons working on the incoming mails. Some of them can only be replied by Steve himself, as the questions are too technical or too specific... And Steve does not have much spare time to reply all his emails. We do the best we can.

Greetingz,

BigSis
And might I add, a fantastic job you folks do returning the emails. I get a response within a day or two. Better than some major corporations!!!
Old 09-06-2004, 08:09 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally Posted by stealthe430
And might I add, a fantastic job you folks do returning the emails. I get a response within a day or two. Better than some major corporations!!!
You're making me blush! :p But thanks!

Greetingz,

BigSis

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.

Quick Reply: MBenzNL UHI phone kits (longish post, some pics)