Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

caution changing parklight bulbs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2020, 01:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W204 C180k Blueefficiency
caution changing parklight bulbs

Decided to change the park light bulbs on my 2009 c180k w204 to LED W5W bulbs. I checked a few youtube videos and it looked easy enough. 2 things that were not mentioned in any of the videos I watched. Firstly, the videos featured the bulb change on one side of the vehicle and then the poster just says "...now do the same on the other side." Simple Simon, right? Except you will see that the other side has the windshield washer bottle right in front of it making the change way harder. But not impossible. Secondly, the videos I watched, each of the posters demonstrated pulling the bulb out from the wires and "just pop it out" of the housing to reveal the bulb socket and then fit it back into the housing after changing the bulb. I don't know if it is because of the age of my vehicle or perhaps the poster was incorrect and it needs a twist, but DO NOT just pull on the wires. I know what you're thinking..."Obviously the wires would snap off!" That wasn't the case. The wires were indeed connected strong enough to survive the pulling. So strong in fact, that it broke the entire housing holding the bulb. (See pictures). Long and short, it may be because of dry rot and age on the plastic or perhaps there is another action to remove the plug, not just pull, but the DIY videos do not take into consideration certain factors. I would leave it to a professional in retrospect.