Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

COMAND adding gaps in song tracks

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2020, 01:53 PM

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
2020 E63S Wagon, 2007 335i convertible (tuned to 400hp), 2011 Audi A4 Avant
COMAND adding gaps in song tracks

I have a 2020 E63S with the Burmeister soundsystem. I have created an SD card with about 40 music albums (in FLAC format but I don't think it matters). Some albums were transferred from the CDs that I own, others were purchased and DL'd from HDTracks.com. There are certain albums that are designed to transition immediately from one song to the next, without any time in between. For example, almost all of the Moody Blues Days of Future Passed. Also the Jackson Brown tracks of "The Load" and "Stay", from his Running On Empty album.

However when played in my MB, the system always inserts a second or two gap of silence between these tracks...which is unnerving if you are familiar with the albums on CD or vinyl. Anybody experience this?
Old 05-21-2020, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 100 Posts
2018 GLE350, 2014 G550, 2000 SL500, 1980 TR8, 1995 E320 Cabriolet
If your "rip" or source (HDTracks) created individual files for each track, then this is not surprising as there is no way for a system reading an SD card with FLAC files on it to know which tracks should have a gap and which ones are gapless. Since most albums have gapped tracks, the system defaults to adding a second or two "gap" between tracks since gap information is not stored in a FLAC file. Apple solved this issue on later iPods and iPhones by including gap information the the file wrapper. This is why I use an iPod instead of an SD card and convert everything to Apple Lossless Encoding (ALE) format. Unfortunately, even though the ALE format (and iTunes) supports the higher bit rates from sources like HDtracks, the iPod does not, so I have to convert my HDTrack music for 44.1/16 for use in the car.

I supposed if you had the right editing software you could create one large FLAC (or otherwise) file for the whole album so that it is gapless where is should be.

Interesting after thought - try ripping a gapless CD directly into ALE format and see if the system will read and play it back correctly.

Last edited by Floobydust; 05-21-2020 at 05:13 PM. Reason: typos