Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

SL550 head unit conversion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2020, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL550
SL550 head unit conversion

Hi, first post here.
I just picked up a R230, 2007 SL550.
Want to change to an aftermarket head unit but keep the factory amp and speakers. I see there are 2 interfaces. Any idea which is better, any issues to consider, or if there's another option? I have the ability to get either one for around, $300.

https://navtv.com/products/NTV-KIT50...-s-opti-1.html

Or

IX-MB017

www.spiralaudio.com
Thanks in advance!!
Mike
Old 06-21-2020, 09:41 AM

2009 SL 63
Working on conversion now

HI Mike,
I'm working on a head unit conversion right now. I was on here looking for some help myself. I purchased the harness from Sprial for my 2009 SL63 and I can tell you I'm having a hell of a time. I followed the directions for wire connections and couldn't get it to work. Took it to Car Toys and they couldn't get it either. Also, Spiral's tech service has been less than helpful in my situation. I even sent them a wiring diagram and they still weren't helpful. I'm still trying to get them to help me but so far, no luck. I'm not saying don't buy the one from Spiral but I would be careful. This install has been a nightmare.
Jeremy
Old 06-21-2020, 09:53 AM

SL550
Originally Posted by SL63TX
HI Mike,
I'm working on a head unit conversion right now. I was on here looking for some help myself. I purchased the harness from Sprial for my 2009 SL63 and I can tell you I'm having a hell of a time. I followed the directions for wire connections and couldn't get it to work. Took it to Car Toys and they couldn't get it either. Also, Spiral's tech service has been less than helpful in my situation. I even sent them a wiring diagram and they still weren't helpful. I'm still trying to get them to help me but so far, no luck. I'm not saying don't buy the one from Spiral but I would be careful. This install has been a nightmare.
Jeremy
Thanks Jeremy, I actually abandoned the whole idea due to cost. My SL550 has an iPod hookup in the glovebox so I found a Bluetooth adapter that plugged right in. So I am streaming through that plus my factory Bluetooth phone works in tandem with that, a nice phone mount, and I'm all set. Thank you and good luck getting yours straightened out!
Mike