Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

NTG2 radio turns on shows MB logo and then switches off. Fibre optic loop?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2020, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C180 Kompressor
NTG2 radio turns on shows MB logo and then switches off. Fibre optic loop?

Hi, I have recently acquired a C180 2-door kompressor (2005). The previous owner had installed a subwoofer, I believe with an aftermarket head unit (not sure). The factory NTG2 command stereo now is not starting up. After turning it on it shows the MB logo startup screen for a few seconds before the screen goes fuzzy and switches off. I have tried another head unit in the car and it had the same problem suggesting to me the problem lies elsewhere.

After reading around these forums I’ve gotten the idea that it may be a break somewhere in the fibre optic loop causing this issue. My problem is I don’t believe I have fibre optics.... there are no wires on the back of the head unit going into the MOST. I don’t have a cd changer under the unit or in the glovebox, can’t seem to find anything in the trunk either. Could the lack of any connection to the MOST be causing this issue? Or am I missing something?

I am new to Mercedes and to this forum so I’d appreciate any help or advice on this matter.
Old 07-25-2020, 08:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 100 Posts
2018 GLE350, 2014 G550, 2000 SL500, 1980 TR8, 1995 E320 Cabriolet
Being a non-US car, I can only speculate. Command NTG2 is an integrated unit so it should not depend on having a MOST connection to at least power up and remain on. I'm not sure if NTG2 has anti-theft protection, but after the unit goes blank, hold the power button down for at least 30 seconds and see if it powers back up. If it does, then the anti-theft may be active. This can happen if there is an issue with the CAN bus connection to the unit.

Last edited by Floobydust; 07-25-2020 at 01:13 PM.
Old 07-27-2020, 11:35 AM

C180 Kompressor
Originally Posted by Floobydust
Being a non-US car, I can only speculate. Command NTG2 is an integrated unit so it should not depend on having a MOST connection to at least power up and remain on. I'm not sure if NTG2 has anti-theft protection, but after the unit goes blank, hold the power button down for at least 30 seconds and see if it powers back up. If it does, then the anti-theft may be active. This can happen if there is an issue with the CAN bus connection to the unit.
Update: I’ve tried holding the power button for atleast a minute after it goes blank to no response... it just repeats the cycle of turning on showing logo and going blank. Also I got a fibre optic bypass adaptor off amazon and plugged it straight into the HU but this didn’t fix the problem either unfortunately.

Any other suggestions?
Old 07-28-2020, 09:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 100 Posts
2018 GLE350, 2014 G550, 2000 SL500, 1980 TR8, 1995 E320 Cabriolet
I have read that certain versions of COMAND will exhibit this behavior if they cannot communicate with the CAN bus in the car. Inspect the wiring harness to make sure that none of the connections were cut.altered by the previous install.

Old 07-30-2020, 01:57 PM

C180 Kompressor
Update:

So I managed to get the stereo to turn on and work. All I did was play about with fuses taking them all out and putting them back in. Had a few missing also which I put in. It worked for about an hour after which the same startup issue returned. Playing with fuses I got it to work twice again but the issue still persists.