Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Stereo Install/ Removing rear shelf (newbe)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 01:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'02 M3, '03 C230K Sedan
Stereo Install/ Removing rear shelf (newbe)

Hi everyone,..................This is my first post so please forgive and advise of any improper ettiquette.

I've had my Benz for abt 6 months now and have been reserching how to upgrade my stereo. It's a C230K Sedan w/ out the Bose system. I already bought all my gear and am taking a few days off work next week to install (I've installed a few systems in the past and know a bit about audio systems.) I've been pulling panels and researching the forum to plan my work but have run into a few problems.

A)I've unbolted the rear sunshade but can't figure out how to remove the rear shelf. I intend to remove the sub so I have air passage to the cabin.

B)I saw a thread that indicated there is a switched power source to tap into in the truck. I saw a fuse under the floor covering. Is that it? Is it OK to connect the amp's remote switch line to that as well? Please advise the best way to hook up power source, ground, and remote wire for the amp to turn off/ on correctly.

C)I will be using the stock HU but I want to keep all the fade/ balance controls to function properly. So, I will be taping into the speaker wires w/ a 'Line Level Converter' Where is the easiest place for me to access the Fr/ Fl/ Rr/Rl speaker wires together. I'm avoiding having to remove the head unit.

Just FYi for interested parties; I bought a 1000W Soundstream amp to run everything(75WX4 + 200WX1), two pairs of MB Quart component/ coaxial speakers, & One 10" infinity prefect sub I plan to put in a sealed box for tighter bass.
Old 08-28-2004, 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honda Grom
I ran 4 gauge down the passenger side. THe driver side rear door has the speaker lines. I didn't want to take apart rear deck so I just snipped the speaker lines for the sub. That way when I decide to sell the car in few years I can reconnect the rear sub. Piece of cake. BTW.... I am running two 10's and it thunders. pm me if ya need any more help.
Old 08-29-2004, 02:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Audi C7.5 S6
""A)I've unbolted the rear sunshade but can't figure out how to remove the rear shelf. I intend to remove the sub so I have air passage to the cabin.""

The rear deck cover and window shade assembly, sit in a molded rubber
chunk of foam. One must raise the whole assembly HIGH enough to clear the foam. This will take a lot of extra effort. Once this cover is out, then you can remove the molded foam. At this point it is easy to remove the whole subwoofer molded plastic assembly.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 C230 SS
any pics? im interesting in dynamating the rear shelf metal part around the woofer (i have the h/k audio), also the door panels to dynamat the area around the door speakers.