Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Anyone Installed an Aftermarket NAV System in their MB?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2002, 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone Installed an Aftermarket NAV System in their MB?

I've been looking around to have a Pioneer NAV system installed in my CLK, and was quoted at 2,700 for the headunit and foldout screen. Well, today I was looking around Yahoo shopping, and found the same items, brand new, for less than 2,100 shipped!

600 dollars to install it?? I'm sure it can't be that hard to install. And this is from some audio place where I'm not even sure how many MB's they've worked on (I don't want them cutting up my wires.)

Has anyone had any experience installing a Pioneer (or any other aftermarket NAV system) in the car? I'm considering ordering the items and installing it myself. I just have a couple of questions for the electronics/MB gurus out there (I have a 2000 CLK430 btw):

1. The head unit would probably go under the seat or in the trunk, although there is little clearance under the seat so it'd probably go in the trunk. How hard is it to run wires from the trunk to the dash?

2. At the dash, I have 2 dins below the climate control, the radio in the upper and the lower is empty. In order for the foldout screen not to go over the radio when opened, I'd have to move the radio to the lower din and install the foldout screen in the upper din. How hard is it to do this? Would I have to take apart the entire console? Would I probably need a special kit for MBs to install the foldout screen?

3. Would I need to cut any wires to connect the NAV system? I heard you have to connect it to the speed sensor wire. How hard is it to access the car's wiring system, if necessary?

Just curious about the complexity of the project, and if it'd be a good idea to do it myself or bring it to a shop.

Thanks in advance,
Old 05-11-2002, 01:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e320 my2001
you may want to check www.mytrafficpro.com
Old 05-24-2002, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 E430
Personally, I don't have ANY experience with the Pioneer system. However I have the Alpine system in my car, the NVA-852A. I didn't do the installation myself, but I did lend an hand with the install.

http://members.sounddomain.com/mbze430

Usually the new system requires you to run your GPS antenna to a window, or outside of the car(depends on GPS antenna). Second, you need to find the speed sensor wire of your. You also need the parking break wire, as well as the reverse light wire. Finally there is an illumination wire. Of course this is base on the Alpine system.

Unless you can get the wire diagram easily, trying to figure out which wire is what could lead to some hours of headache.
Old 05-29-2002, 06:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 mercedes clk coupe
i have pioneer system in my clk u can see the lil pic in my sig

its great sharp and excelent sound

one thing tho too many remote controls

u have to use em almost no buttons on the unit itself