Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

COMAND installation help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2002, 04:57 PM
mdf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
COMAND installation help

hi
Does anyone know if it's possible to install the Comand 2 system in a 1998 E-class. my car still has the factory single-din navigation radio.
if anyone did that, did you replace the main wood console to accomadate the double din command?

Old 05-12-2002, 04:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
3 Porsche rotation
Talking Yes you can

1998 E-class does not have CAN-Bus system. If you get the newer COMAND 2.0 then you will need a CAN-Bus Simulator from www.megacomm.de I have successfully retrofitted COMAND to my 2002 E55. You can go to www.mbnz.org Galleries, under W210, and look under John's Comand retrofit and completion. I have listed all the parts that are needed for this minor operation. Most of the COMAND 2.0 you see on the German Ebay are of the CAN-Bus enabled COMAND 2.0 Occassionally you will find the older COMAND without CAN-Bus support. Other thing to keep in mind is the European firmware for the European COMAND is different than the US firmware and the known issues are the AM and Weatherband reception; you will lose both functions. The up side is you will gain the TV function which is not available for US COMAND. I hope this is helpful to you.

John
Old 05-13-2002, 01:30 AM
mdf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for the info john
the Comand I was referring to was actually Can-bus free, it was finally sold for about 1000$. Unfortunatly the galleries section on www.mbnz.org is disabled at the moment so I could'nt check your page. By the way my car is a european version but i finally gave up bidding on ebay because I felt the installation would have to be done at megacomm and I'm not in Germany.
Old 05-13-2002, 05:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2004 SL55, 2015 A250d, 2016 GLC250d
MDF, where are you ?