Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Stereo works fine then doesn't

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2021, 11:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 GLK 350
Stereo works fine then doesn't

I searched and found one thread with a similar issue but could find no others . I thought maybe this issue has been seen before as it is very exact in how it does and doesn't operate .

We have an issue with the radio speakers popping on the wifes 2011 GLK350 . It is very consistant with how it operates or doesn't . The first time you turn the radio on after starting the car (for the first time of the day) the radio will operate fine . There are no signs of a bad speaker or amplifier etc , it works perfectly until you either turn the radio off or switch the car off . It will then click and pop all the speakers and you can not navigate the menu while it is doing this . The backup camera will work but the popping continues . The unit will not operate for the rest of the day . Next day repeat . If we turn the radio on after the 1st start of the day it will continue to operate fine even if we drive 300 miles , but as soon as we turn it or the car off it will start popping again and is finished for the day .

I was going to buy a used head unit off of Ebay until I read that it had to be programmed by the dealer to match the VIN . The dealer says they would just have to get it in for troubleshooting as it could be one of several modules and would not give a price to troubleshoot . We could live without the radio but using the backup camera is a headache with the speakers popping the whole time .

Hoping for a lightbulb to go off in someone's head and point me to the correct fix