Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

COMAND SHUTTING DOWN

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2022, 12:19 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2017 GLC300 4MATIC, 2016 E400 4MATIC, 1976 300D
Unhappy COMAND SHUTTING DOWN

Hi, new member here! Also don't know a lot of tech-speak so please forgive me. In my 2017 GLC, I was driving around listening to music via bluetooth a few weeks ago and out of nowhere my COMAND screen said "COMAND Shutting Down", and about 4-5 seconds later, blank screen, no audio. I pressed the power button on center console and the mercedes logo came up, audio came back on, and then again, "COMAND Shutting Down", and then it shut down again. I noticed later after turning car off then turning car back on, that if I immediately put car into reverse, the rear cam would turn on and stay on for as long as I was reversing, though COMAND shutting down would still happen.

Things my husband has tried from various internet searches
  1. removing some fuse (not sure which one) and waiting for a while then putting fuse back in (nothing)
  2. replaced main battery (nothing)
  3. reset by holding the eject disc for 10 seconds - can see and hear a reset, but still same message COMAND shutting down after it powers back up, (so still nothing)
  4. removing plug to satellite radio under floorboard in rear cargo area (THIS WORKED BY KEEPING COMAND SYSTEM SCREEN ON *BUT* NO AUDIO whatsoever - tried radio, bluetooth, making a call, etc and no audio.
    • It's worth noting that trying to save any audio preferences e.g. surround sound to on vs off does not save...
Also worth noting that before we tried #4, we took to dealership and they were able to replicate the issue (obviously) and said they would need to "conduct extensive diagnosis for Comand issue-performed short test and found that tuner control unit, sound amp, and head unit are not communicating. Fuses for all components are good. Will require disassembly of vehicle to access individual components to test for issue" which would have cost an additional $753.52 beyond the initial $200 diagnostic charge we paid them to do.

HELP?!

Last edited by Lar84; 03-09-2022 at 07:40 PM.