Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

C240 In-dash CD options ??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C240 2003, Sedan, V6
C240 In-dash CD options ??

Hello all,

I just purchased last week a 2003 C240 sedan (return from lease) and am VERY happy with the car. However, the indash radio appears to be a stock unit with cassette. I want to upgrade the radio to one with a single CD player. I like the steering wheel controls and want to keep that feature if possible. I've scanned the forum and found references to "Audio 10" and "Audio 30" upgrades. But I'm a little confused. Are these European radios that sorta work in the US?
I live in the SF bay area and listen to radio and CD's. AM and FM can be spotty sometimes.

What I want : AM/FM/CD/CD-R's/MP3 ; higher power is not a need.
I will settle for : AM/FM/CD

Any recommendations?

Thanks, Jim
Old 09-28-2004, 04:28 PM

2009 C300 SPORT 4MATIC
Thumbs up Audio 10

Hello,

You need an "AUDIO 10" CD HEADUNIT. Check ebay or post a "Wanted" ad here in the forums. You will get CD/CD-R playback, FM, and AM (however, the european spacing for AM is different than that of the US and you may not be able to tune in certain AM frequencies precisely to the last digit). You also will get cool RDS capability. Additionally, because it is a Mercedes OEM product, you will be able to preserve steering wheel control functionality. Cost of the Audio 10 I believe is in the $200-350 range? (do a search on the W203 forum for more accurate market prices).

Your other option is to add the OEM 6 DISC CD CHANGER. You'll get 6 disc capability without killing the cassette (which, believe it or not, may still be of some appeal to certain folks when you try to sell or trade the car). The changer, however, is somewhat more expensive. Again, you will be able to control the changer from the steering wheel.

Good luck.
Martin-
Old 09-28-2004, 07:23 PM

C240 2003, Sedan, V6
Martin,

Thanks for responding. Does Becker offer "new" Audio 10's in the US?

Also, is the installation easy enough that I can do this myself? I think I've installed around 5 Blaupunkt's over the years in my vehicles.

Jim
Old 09-28-2004, 10:52 PM

2009 C300 SPORT 4MATIC
Audio 10

I don't believe Becker offers it. Your best bet is to check ebay or post a
"wanted" ad. Better yet, you should contact "Steve." Steve is a very well known and knowledgeable fellow from the Netherlands from whom you can safely order a number of different original MB parts for various vehicles, including the W203 c-class. For instance, he sells COMAND navigation systems, bi-xenons, etc. (Last year I ordered from him a climatronic digital display unit, which arrived very quickly and in perfect condition).

Just type "Steve" & "audio 10" in the Search box and you should find out more about him and the Audio 10 in general. Steve's website is:
www.mbenznl.com -

Also check out this thread: https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...light=audio+10

Finally, here's a pic (courtesy of Buellwinkle):
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
AUDIO TEN.bmp (249.7 KB, 161 views)
Old 09-29-2004, 12:44 PM

C240 2003, Sedan, V6
Thanks again Martin.

I found Session's post in the W203 forum from July 2002 and saw his Audio 10 installation pics and instructions. Now I just have to convince my wife that I should order this radio and install it myself in "our" car.

Jim
2003 C240