Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

OEM SIRIUS "ACQUIRING" PROBLEM

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C300 SPORT 4MATIC
OEM SIRIUS "ACQUIRING" PROBLEM

As you can see, the dealer -- at my request -- installed the antenna behind the rear glass. Lately I have been experiencing very LONG random periods of loss of signal where the dreaded "ACQUIRING" screen comes up even though there are no obstructions over the antenna (bridges, trees, etc) and it even happens when the car is stationary!

I realize one may not necessarily compare one with the other, but I hardly ever lost my aftermarket Sirius or XM signal in my prior cars with the antenna mounted in the exact same location (i.e., behind the glass).

For those knowlegeable in this area, is it possible that the MB OEM Sirius module is defective and that this is what's causing the excessive "acquiring" signal problem?

I was hoping to convince the dealer to replace and install another receiver to test my theory of a defective module, but, of course, the dealer claims that I am having these problems because I insisted on the antenna being installed behind the glass. In other words, they claim the problem is likely to go away if I agree to have the (ugly) antenna permanently mounted on the trunk. Of course, what if I were to agree to have the antenna permanently mounted and the problem persists!!!!!!!!

In any event, what do you guys think? Is it a faulty receiver or is it the current placement of the antenna?

Martin-
Attached Thumbnails OEM SIRIUS "ACQUIRING" PROBLEM-im004011.jpg   OEM SIRIUS "ACQUIRING" PROBLEM-im004012.jpg  
Old 10-12-2004, 10:58 PM

2009 C300 SPORT 4MATIC
Go Figure!

I went to take a pic of the "acquiring" screen (which I'm sure you know what I'm talking about anyway) but, to my surprise, the sat signal is now back on even though the car has been inside the garage for the last 5 hours!!

What gives??

PS/the signal bars are for the integrated V60 - more on that later.
Attached Thumbnails OEM SIRIUS "ACQUIRING" PROBLEM-im004030.jpg  
Old 10-12-2004, 11:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
I had a bad antenna (WISI like the one you used). Replaced it and it works much better.

-s-
Old 10-13-2004, 12:27 PM

2009 C300 SPORT 4MATIC
Bad Antenna

Scorchie,

Did you replace it with another one of the same type?

Martin-
Old 10-13-2004, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
I was one of the 1st to have the OEM Sirius installed in my '04 E. (A lot of the pix here are my Pewter car) My 1st week or so was good, but then I started getting very random & longer and longer "acquiring Signal" blackouts untill the message was on all the time with no reception. The work order listed many tests the dealer ran electronically. It was a defective antenna which was replaced N/C.

Judging by your pic, the signal shouldn't be blocked. In the NY area Sirius reccommends "aiming" your home satellite antenna facing westward, I believe, so bear in mind if you are driving westward, your roof might block the signal.

Check the Sirius site & see which way they would reccommend you aim your home antenna, that way you will know where the satallite is relative to your antenna.

Interesting though, how the radio displays the awkward phrase "Aquiring Signal" and the cluster displays the more correct "No Signal" .

Also note sometimes you might get the message when you start up in the morning "Updating Station List" in silence followed by "Acquiring Signal" even though by then the radio is playing your satellite music. Turn the radio off & back on to clear the "Acquiring Signal" screen.
Old 10-13-2004, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by jmartinacevedo
Scorchie,

Did you replace it with another one of the same type?

Martin-
Yes, my kit accidentally came with two antennas. Now it seems that apparently one didn't pass test and a new one was thrown in the kit, but the bad one was not removed...

-s-
Old 10-13-2004, 08:27 PM

2009 C300 SPORT 4MATIC
Thanks guys

Thanks for insight. A defective antenna may indeed be the problem. Like Barry, the "acquiring signal" is getting longer and longer, sometimes for hours.

I'll tell the dealer to replace the antenna, and see what happens!

Martin-