Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Remote Start on C230?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2004, 07:50 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
w212 & s212
Remote Start on C230?

Quick question: will a remote start option for my alarm work on a 2005 c230?
Old 10-23-2004, 08:44 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
No. There is a transponder in the key which must be available for the car to start.
Why would you add another alarm system when the car already has one? Just never could figure that one out.... Enlighten me if you would.
Old 11-11-2004, 10:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 - C230 Sedan 6spd
First of all, 99% of modern remote start systems require that a second key be used in a module of the alarm/rs system, allowing the system to bypass key requirements. Secondly, the real question here is: Is there a workable remote start system (hopefully that won't void the warranty) that will work on this car? I have been looking for one as well... The point is not to add a second alarm but to gain remote start capabilities.

-K05

ps. adding a secondary alarm is nice because many after market alarms have features that factory alarms don't have, like remote notification if your alarm goes off, auto lock and valet features, and kill switches in the car's electrical systems
Old 11-12-2004, 06:30 PM

The key has to be "read" by the electronic ignition switch, which communicates via CAN to the engine computer. Benz has a lock on all the DAS3 stuff, and I doubt there is any way to integrate a second EIS to start the car remotely. You also run in to issues like if you leave the key on long enough, you must remove it and reinsert it to be able to start the car. I have never heard of anybody making remote start on a DAS 3 car possible.
In my mind, having an additional key or module somewhere in the car defeats the purpose of having such a high tech system. It would be fairly easy to start the car and steal it if there is a key in the car somewhere....
Old 11-12-2004, 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by saturnstyl
The key has to be "read" by the electronic ignition switch, which communicates via CAN to the engine computer. Benz has a lock on all the DAS3 stuff, and I doubt there is any way to integrate a second EIS to start the car remotely. You also run in to issues like if you leave the key on long enough, you must remove it and reinsert it to be able to start the car. I have never heard of anybody making remote start on a DAS 3 car possible.
In my mind, having an additional key or module somewhere in the car defeats the purpose of having such a high tech system. It would be fairly easy to start the car and steal it if there is a key in the car somewhere....
Yes, it is possible to have a remote system with the extra key in the module.

Security with an extra key in the car is based on the key being secured in the car (not being easily accessible) and also not making it easily deduced as to where the key is located.

It's really no big deal, as many people who have already done this will attest.

-s-
Old 11-13-2004, 11:03 AM

So where can we get a remote start module for a Das 3 car? I have several customers who would be interested.