Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Carputer (Fober Optic Help)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2004, 05:36 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carputer (Fober Optic Help)

I added a Carputer to my 99 c230 a few mos ago and with no help from the damn head units Fiber optic cd chnager i was forced to use a FM mod. I have gotten fed up with the horrible sound quality now and decided to persue my initial dream.

I wanted to buy a soundcard with Optical out and create a way to hook that directly to the Head Unit VIA the Fiber optic CD changer. There are obviously 2 wires that connect to the CD changer a red and white. Now i know very little about fiber optics, let alone that on the Benz CD changer.

I guess my question is do any of you think this is plausible or am i wasting my dreams. When i have the stereo on the red "ed" on the cable is lit at all times so im guessing this is how it detects the presence of a CD changer, im just hoping that the two wires dont work in conjunction with eatch other. I was assuming the red detected the Changer and the white was the audio, though im guessing im way off base here. And im also assuming even IF this was to work im not sure the protocols would even match up.

I guess im just looking for some hope and any info any of you guys/gals might know about my situation.

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/soundauxmb1.html , so its obviously possible, but only if everything i stated works out in my way, otherwise itll be too complicated to perform.

Thanks, Jeff

BTW i cannot do the tape player hack as i have a 99 not a 01- ... i tried for days.
Old 11-07-2004, 06:36 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
I doubt the protocols will work, and the fiber optics have to form a "ring". You must have an input and output for each component. This doesn't work the same way as SPDIF connections.
Old 11-07-2004, 09:46 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its a fibre data network with serial looping. Like an FDDI ring.

I dont think the information you want is public domain ......
Old 11-07-2004, 10:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
It will be a total waste of time. The protocol is proprietery and not worth it to get working
Old 11-08-2004, 02:42 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by sunman
It will be a total waste of time. The protocol is proprietery and not worth it to get working

well damn,, looks like im going back on the search for an older HU thatll fit my car, 99-00 is the only years c classes got screwed with any chance of an AUX input.
Old 11-08-2004, 03:44 PM

Designo AMG
you got any pics of your setup?
Old 11-09-2004, 02:36 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by JDoggery
you got any pics of your setup?
i was going to take some this weekend,, i have been swamped the last few weeks and i had to replace my screen last week in the little alocated time i had for it. So currently im using my old fabricated piece i made for my old screen on my new screen, therfore it doesnt fit correctly to look how i want to.

I initially wanted to find a way to have it match the burl wood design using some sort of board or plastic but all the shops here locally were going to charge me insane amounts for a thick type of wood that kind of matched that wouldnt be able to be shaped. I made my mold out of wood, fiberglass, and bondo,, just needing a single layer of the "wood" design.. no luck so i just made a flat black bumpy textured coat. I think i may have a few pics of that alone ill post in a bit. I never made a thread like my initial plan was to descibe my whole set up and show it off. Maybe itll come after im satisfied with the whole thing, which i doubt i ever will be as im a perfectionist

2 main current probs
a- need better input source
b- need a "wood" plastic layer i could add to my current mold

after thats all done i would probbaly be happy...temporarily
Old 11-09-2004, 02:40 AM
Almost a Member!

BTW- I know i spelled FIber Fober in title
Old 11-09-2004, 04:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Originally Posted by PaCMaYNE
well damn,, looks like im going back on the search for an older HU thatll fit my car, 99-00 is the only years c classes got screwed with any chance of an AUX input.
W203 stock head units do not have an AUX input either. Only COMAND does.
Old 11-14-2004, 08:44 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by vadim
W203 stock head units do not have an AUX input either. Only COMAND does.

i know,,, but they can be modded to have one
Old 11-14-2004, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
that mod is simply by tapping into the cassette head. Not really a great way of doing it but doable.
Old 11-30-2004, 08:34 PM
Almost a Member!

yea i know,, and i tried for a good week for the W202 head unit,, but is not possible with my knowledge of how tape decks work