Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Any problems with retrofitted Comands?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 C320 pewter/charcoal
Any problems with retrofitted Comands?

Hi,

Well I finally did it and got myself a spot in the Chicago install by Steve this November.

I'm getting bixenon, Comand, wood/leather steering wheel, and aux input.

My question is, has anyone had a problem with the retrofitted comands 1st during the 3 month warranty or more importantly after?

Also similar, any problems with retrofitted bixenons?

Steve seems to do great install work and that's why I went with him. I just wanted to be assured about the refurbished products.

Thanx.
Old 11-10-2004, 02:47 PM

I had Steve install a Euro Command in my CLK. The install went very smooth and the job was very professional. I did end up having a Command with a bad gyro but it was replaced with no questions asked and no problems. Very professional and I would recommend Steve to anybody. I plan on him doing more work on my car the next time he is around with some tv tuners. Hope this helps.
Old 11-10-2004, 03:01 PM

2000 e320 4matic Wagon
Steve installed a Comand for me in my 2000 e320 last August and it's perfect. I love it! I've had no problems at all.

Pete
Old 11-10-2004, 07:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK Coupe 200 Komp 53 Plate
I'm gonna order a comand off steve i have only ever heard great thing about steve.

Neil
Old 11-10-2004, 07:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'01 C320 || '14 Honda Pilot EX-L
Originally Posted by jugdishoh1
Hi,

Well I finally did it and got myself a spot in the Chicago install by Steve this November.

I'm getting bixenon, Comand, wood/leather steering wheel, and aux input.

My question is, has anyone had a problem with the retrofitted comands 1st during the 3 month warranty or more importantly after?

Also similar, any problems with retrofitted bixenons?

Steve seems to do great install work and that's why I went with him. I just wanted to be assured about the refurbished products.

Thanx.
I am going with COMAND and Climatronic, and I have no worries. I have never heard about any issues with his products or work. See you in two weeks at the Chicago install!!
Old 11-10-2004, 11:19 PM

Yeah,
I'm pretty excited about the trip too. Haven't really done anything too drastic with my car until this point (put on a clear 3M bra on the front, and put in the V60 voice recog phone) but other than that, everything is stock. I guess the thought of doing big time mods is exciting but of course comes the worrying about warranties and stuff like that. But I have to admit, the look of bixenon is too appealling, dramatically changes the exterior of the car. And I have so far heard great things about the Comand upgrade so looking fwd to that.

Also, anyone who has comand, is there an actual equalizer you can use to play with sound or is it really the same as the standard headunit with just bass/treble controls. Also do you lose the Ambient setting that I currently have with the Bose system (which is by far the best setting to listen to music in my car right now).

Thanx
Old 11-11-2004, 07:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL500
no problems with the euro comand from steve in my clk
Old 11-11-2004, 11:35 AM

2000 E430 sport package
Had Steve install Comand in Apr/04. No problems or issues. So far Steve has installed the Comand, Tv tuner, SAVV headrest monitors, and a DVD player without any problems. Steve does a very professional job. Enjoy!
Old 11-23-2004, 03:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD, 2004.5 C230 Sport Sedan, 2005 E320 CDI, 2008 C300 4-Matic Luxury
no problems at all with my COMAND system that was installed by Steve in August he does top notch work and you couldn't put your car in safer hands , as far as the equalizer stuff goes, i know that there are some presets you can set as well as a custom mode, but i dont remember if it was just Bass, Treble, Fade, and Balance there or if there was more, i'll check tomorrow morning and post back (unless someone else can beat me to it ) and i dont have the Bose system in my car so i wont be able to answer that for you
Old 11-23-2004, 08:58 AM
Almost a Member!

I will add to the enthusiastic response from others. Steve did a great job in Toronto, installing Euro spec Comand with Nav and TV tuner. Works great.

I have the same concerns about ongoing reliability - what to do . All is good so far.

In response to another question - this applies to W211 Comand/Nav, not sure about others - you can set the audio characteristics individually for the nav voice and for the radio/CD/TV/DVD audio. It also has variable settings to mute down the radio/CD/TV/DVD audio when a nav voice instruction comes on - very cool. You can set it to have the English lady voice provide you with directions in a soft sexy way ; > - while the current sound is muted down automatically.

So . . . thanks to Wanda for co-ordinating the FedEx shipments so efficiently, even though I was panicking at the close timing . . . all of the parts came in on time and Steve was very happy that nothing was missing.

And thanks to Steve for coming through (the security guards came by to check on a report of 'cars being stripped down in the underground parking') - his reputation is untarnished and continues to grow.

Dimitri
Old 11-23-2004, 09:24 AM

S63, 560SL
Just got back to detroit from chicago!

I have to say Steve is GREAT at what he does. He got to my car as soon as he arrived, swaped in the command and everything looked great. I can't say how pleased I am with Steve's commitment to quality work. Even though we had a snag during the process(nothing to do with steve's equipment or install), I have to say that Steve is a stand up guy.

I'm looking forward to my next round of upgrades.

Old 11-23-2004, 11:01 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Nothing MB related (sorry)
Hi Fais,

Glad to hear things worked out okay! Enjoy your new toy!

Greetingz,

BigSis
Old 11-24-2004, 02:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
W212 2009, W115 Pullman & EQC
Well im looking forward to my next install in NL aswell..
Hope to c u there..
Rgds kim
Old 11-24-2004, 06:00 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally Posted by BigSis
Hi Fais,

Glad to hear things worked out okay! Enjoy your new toy!

Greetingz,

BigSis
Hey Fais,

Hmmm... talked to Steve after I posted this; heard what the problem was. Too bad that it didn't quite work the way it should.

Hopefully we will be able to help you next time when Steve is travelling through the US.

Greetingz,

BigSis
Old 11-24-2004, 06:01 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally Posted by why_not
Well im looking forward to my next install in NL aswell..
Hope to c u there..
Rgds kim
Yep... I am waiting for Steve to invite me over!

Greetingz,

BigSis
Old 11-24-2004, 02:20 PM

06 M3
I wanted to say that I just got home form having Euro Comand installed in my w208 by Steve. Everything works great and I will be looking forward to the return trip to Chicago to have more done. Thanks to Steve and to Erwin for hosting it, it was a pleasure meeting you both.
Old 11-24-2004, 09:27 PM

Well I did get everything installed by Steve, and long story short it was an amazing experience, better than I could have hoped. Absolutely love the Comand and Bixenons (actually wrote a lengthy post on the whole process if anyone is interested, it's on the W203 forum titled I finally did it). Highly recommend everyone interested in getting the COMAND to go for it (not only is navigation absolutely amazing, you get a huge improvement in the quality of your audio (please refer to the above post)
Old 11-25-2004, 05:40 AM

S63, 560SL
Old 11-27-2004, 11:30 PM

I had my US COMAND installed by Steve last year. So far I have not had any major problems but a few minor annoyances with my COMAND. These include:

1. 25% of the time when I start my car, the display of my COMAND does not work until I turn the comand on and off several times

2. When I attach devices (ie. MP3 or DVD player) to the auxillary input of the COMAND, I have to turn the sound up 100% to get decent sound

I am not sure if these are Steve's fault or Mercedes fault. Has anyone had the same problems?
Old 11-29-2004, 02:08 AM
Almost a Member!

Shortbear,

Are you using the line level output or earphone output out of your MP3 or DVD player? If you're using the earphone output, you'll have to turn up the volume of the MP3 or DVD.
Old 11-30-2004, 04:31 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

some slow@$$diesels
Originally Posted by The Kingfish
you'll have to turn up the volume of the MP3 or DVD.
He was already told that same thing more then a year ago...

greetingz,
Old 06-29-2005, 03:33 PM

2002 C32
Any one have any reliability updates as I'm really interested in getting Steve to install a Euro COMAND in my 2002 C32 and this is one of my last concerns?
Old 06-29-2005, 04:55 PM

Well it's been 8 months and absolutely no problems with my COMAND system installed by Steve. Absolutely love it, you'll love the look of it (replaces that small shelf that I couldn't fit anything into under the original stereo head. So my advice, go for it. You'll love it.

Also, a quick question for anyone out there. I remember when Steve 1st installed my COMAND he had to calibrate it by inputting some data on the depth of tire tread. My question is, as your tires wear down, do you have to and manually update this? And if you do switch tires (I did to winter tires last winter) did I have to re-input the tread depth? I didn't and don't seem to have noticed any difference, though the stock tires were pretty much new and the winter tires were brand new.

Thanks
Old 06-30-2005, 01:17 AM

W212 2009, W115 Pullman & EQC
.. i have had two BIG modifications trips to Steve in Holland.
I have loved all my modifications and everything is working fine.
Sometimes they can be a bit slow when returning mails but they do answer.

I have not reconfigured my comand when i changed my wheels... and did not se any difference.

Rgds kim