Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Who Has Experience Upgrading HID Foglights & LEDs On MBs?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 12:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 SL55 AMG
Who Has Experience Upgrading HID Foglights & LEDs On MBs?

I have 6000K HID upgrades (bi-xenon) on my 2004 SL55 AMG and spent most of Friday with (2) audio installers trying to convert my stock fogs to 6000K HIDs (Xetronic kit with HIDs/Ballast). The MB CAN/ECU subsystems are so sensitive that they somehow current/voltage sense the minute change with the new HID bulbs. The MB computer(s) stops current to the HID bulb base to show that the bulb needs replacement. We also tried to replace the 194 bulbs (low beam non HID housing) with 6 W-LEDs, but since they draw so little current ~20mA vs. stock 2A?, the LEDs won't stay lit as the MB comp senses broken bulb again.

Physics calculations on P=IV=I squared R and resistance didn't quite correspond with what we measured and tested (Multi-meter), but by the end of the day we did figure out that we needed to make the upgrades work. We were successful with a min of 1 Ohm resistance to make the HID kit function and min 2.0-2.8 Ohms for the LEDs to stay lit. We also feel that we need a heatsink capable of 50W for each even though the HID fogs are 55W and the 194 bulbs are 5W.

Who has any experience or insight to share? Has anyone upgraded to HID fogs or LEDs? I'm ordering these ceramic lug resistors from Ohmite in hopes
that everything works out well, otherwise 9006 PIAA Super Plasma GT-X 5000K go into the fogs and those Piaa Plasma Blue 194s will be used.

Last edited by RU_MATRX; 11-15-2004 at 12:16 AM.