Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Automatic Volume Leveling???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Automatic Volume Leveling???

I notice while driving our 2002 ML-320 that when the vehicle slows & comes to a stop, the output volume of the stereo automatically lowers, and then comes back up (almost to make up for road noise, etc.). Is there a way to turn this "feature" off? I don't always notice it, but it does happen (I have had other ears besides mine listening!)
Old 11-15-2004, 10:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 BMW Z4 sDrive35i M Sport
Yes, the dealer can turn it off. I had them turn mine off cause I HATE it.
Old 11-15-2004, 06:11 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
There is a very common problem with the version coding on your ML. The Bose amp is now responsible for the speed dependent volume control but the head unit still thinks it is..... They can change some programming in the head unit and greatly reduce the volume fluctuations. I am not certain of any way to totally disable the feature though. Some bad microphones for the amplifier are out there too....
Old 11-21-2004, 10:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crazy Feature

I just had the auto leveling feature turned off. Until I found this forum, I thought my antenna was bad and that it was the station fading in and out. My wife was also getting aggrevated because she thought I was doing it on the steering wheel just to drive her nuts!
Old 11-22-2004, 09:51 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
ML's don't have steering wheel buttons... and the Bose amp independently controls speed sensitive volume. There is no version coding to an amplifier, thus no way to turn off the feature with the computer.
The problem occurs when the head unit is trying to control the speed sensitive volume, and the amp is trying to also. Causes fluctuations and wierd things to happen. Telling the head unit that he is no longer in control of that feature will fix it.... Gotta go in with the laptop and adjust some version coding in MCS.