Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Replacing Audio 20 with Comand questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2024, 01:53 PM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
2012 E350 Bluetec, 2014 GLK250, 2007 CLK350 convertible
Replacing Audio 20 with Comand questions

i have a 2007 CLK350 convertible and I am trying to replace the stock Audio radio with a Comand head unit with nav. Now I know most people will say don't bother just install a new aftermarket unit, I personally like to keep my cars looking (mostly) stock.

I believe it has the Harmon Kardon system since the HK logo is under the subwoofer tubes in the back seat. It has the CD changer in the glove box.

I have installed the Comand unit and connected the electrical plug and two of the antenna connections (blk and yellow). First, it will power up with the key off. When it is on (key on) I see the MB logo and hear the between station static, the only button that works, other than volume, is the eject button. I tried a CD which worked and sounds fine. The MB logo remains on the screen.

The plug from the back of the head unit goes to another plug which appears to have speaker wires plugged into it. I am enclosing a picture of the plug(s).

The radio station / track number show on the instrument display but aren't changed by the up and down buttons, and the steering wheel volume buttons have no effect. As a note they all worked fine with the Audio radio.

I am pretty sure the unit works since it came out of another 2007 CLK350 where it had also replaced an Audio radio.

Any thoughts from the experts out there?

Old 03-24-2024, 02:38 PM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
2012 E350 Bluetec, 2014 GLK250, 2007 CLK350 convertible
Okay I tried putting the Audio unit back in just to make sure I hadn't screwed anything up, it stills works as it should.

Is it possible that the CD changer doesn't work with the Comand unit? The car is a 2007 and the Comand head unit is a 2007-2009. Again, the head unit worked fine in another guy's 2007 though he didn't have a CD changer.