Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Help! - NTG 4.0 GPS. Converting the antenna lead to support Command unit AND Android

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2024, 02:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C320 CDI
Help! - NTG 4.0 GPS. Converting the antenna lead to support Command unit AND Android

Hi guys. Honestly I need some help here, I'm losing my marbles trying to find the answer to this question.

I have a 2009 C320 CDI, it came with the Command 4.0 navigation system. I have since added a 10" android headunit which connects the audio through the aux input of the Command system.
Anyhow, the supplied GPS 'antenna' is absolute garbage no matter where I position it. I'd like to use the cars OEM antenna, and if I'm right the cable is the blue *twin* Fakra connector at the back of the command unit?

I need a cable or cables that allows me to take this cable and split it so the command unit continues to be supplied with GPS (so the time is correct on the dash), while the android unit receives GPS signal via a SMA connector.

I have seen countless single fakra plugs that split into 1x fakra and 1x SMA, but no twin fakra plugs that split to a twin fakra/sma setup.

I guess my problem is I honestly do not understand the difference between single and twin fakra plugs regarding GPS? Why do most head units seem to have a single connector while the Command unit has a twin?

What happens if you connect only a single fakra plug to a twin fakra socket?

Essentially I want a solution that allows me to support both units with a quality signal and avoid the use of the cheap 'stick on/under the dashboard' GPS antennas.
Can anyone educate me on what is needed here?

Last edited by Jimbobofmoo; 05-19-2024 at 04:00 PM.
Old 05-19-2024, 05:04 PM
Veteran: Canadian Forces

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
2015 GLK 250 Bluetec
I think you just need to find a better place to stick the android supplied antenna. I stuck mine to the inside of the windshield at the very top right. It was very easy to run the cable down the "A" pillar and behind the glovebox. I get a very strong signal and almost always have 22 or more satellites.
Old 05-20-2024, 01:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C320 CDI
It's a possibility but I'd rather use the OE antenna. Using the supplied stick on antenna the best I could get in the car was a snr ratio of 36, but put it on the roof outside and that jumped massively to 45. The OE antenna is in the perfect place.