Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Need help with corroded can bus wiring stuff

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2024, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mercedes c300 w204
Need help with corroded can bus wiring stuff

Hello! I am trying to fix my cars mystery issues, it has been slowing popping up warnings that don’t make sense, fuel codes, random lights that don’t work, but it recently got much worse. Tpms is haywire, I have u codes. I recently found that my drains were all clogged and my left side was completely soaked, I sucked out 10 gallons of water from the back seat. I hoped it would just dry but alas- **** has hit the fan. I traced it to the left fottwell wiring, where the 3 can bus voltage distributors are. I know I need to replace those- but there are 3 other ‘connectors’ as well that are corroded to hell. I can’t figure out what they are for. I pulled the part number off of it & they are all just called ‘plug housing’. I have no clue how to replace this. The only video I could find the guy said ‘it will be better to just cut the wires’ but then didn’t record what he did- he came back and said he spliced wires. So my question is, can I just cut this housing off and splice color to color? If it’s that easy- what is the housing even for? I will attach photos. Does anyone know if you can just buy new wiring harnesses for whatever system these control?

Image for perspective

Plug housing in question

The 3 I need to identify systems for
Old 06-15-2024, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 956 Likes on 742 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
I recommend de-pinning the pins and socket from the connector shell one at a time, then cutting off the old pin or socket, then crimping on a new pin or socket. If you remove multiple pins/sockets from a connector housing in order to replace the connector, be sure to make note of and take photos of the wire positions before removing.
Pins and sockets can be purchased from the MB dealer. Also available from electrical supply houses although I would go with the dealer if possible. Quality crimping tool is important plus a full set of de-pinning tools to account for different connector styles. Those tools are available for purchase on-line.
Once finished, clear codes and then recheck all systems.
Old 06-15-2024, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mercedes c300 w204
Originally Posted by bbirdwell
I recommend de-pinning the pins and socket from the connector shell one at a time, then cutting off the old pin or socket, then crimping on a new pin or socket. If you remove multiple pins/sockets from a connector housing in order to replace the connector, be sure to make note of and take photos of the wire positions before removing.
Pins and sockets can be purchased from the MB dealer. Also available from electrical supply houses although I would go with the dealer if possible. Quality crimping tool is important plus a full set of de-pinning tools to account for different connector styles. Those tools are available for purchase on-line.
Once finished, clear codes and then recheck all systems.
do you think those connectors are supposed to come apart? It didn’t look like they did- but honestly this car has made me feel completely green with cars again so who knows. I did order the connector so hopefully it comes fast.
thanks for your thoughts!