Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Hrmm What do you think?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hrmm What do you think?

I was searching for TV tuners on ebay today and came across this...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ayphotohosting
What does everyone think? Scam? Legit? Has anyone used one of these? I know alot of people with navigation that easily will each pay $800 so the price isn't an issue i was wondering if this accually worked.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:06 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
regardless wether it works or not (it does work...on the models mentioned)...a device like that simply isn't worth THAT much money...

one can buy a lot better (MB) equipment in Europe (straight from MB) for such a price...

greetingz,
Old 12-08-2004, 06:42 PM

S550 / S430 / E320
Digasoft

I contacted Digasoft and received the following reply:

the DiagSoft OBD-Edition can not program the US Comands.

Regards Sezayi

It is meant for someone who would sell the service of updating the comand software. If it did work, I think it would be a great investment. I believe there are quite a number of people who would pay a couple hundred dollars to get the video block off of the comand. I can't understand why nobody in the US can figure out how to do it.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:53 PM

i have a euro command as per steve. I guess i will just wait for steve to get in some of those sweet tv tuners
Old 12-09-2004, 04:22 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

some slow@$$diesels
Originally Posted by NJS430
the DiagSoft OBD-Edition can not program the US Comands.
The reason for this device not being able to programm US spec comands is because (almost all) US comands are NOT able to display video DVDs at all...no mater how the settings are.

greetingz,
Old 12-09-2004, 10:27 AM

S550 / S430 / E320
The 2004 S-class can display DVD's.I believe there is little difference between the Euro and US version so I am not sure why this device would not work. The 2005 S-class has a different head unit - looks the same but the description says no CC player. I haven't figured out what a CC player is, but it may be easier to remove the block on the 2005 model.
Old 12-09-2004, 01:24 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

some slow@$$diesels
I haven't figured out what a CC player is, but it may be easier to remove the block on the 2005 model.
CC = Cassette Player

Have you seen a US W220 DVD comand that actually displayed DVD video yourself???

greetingz,
Old 12-10-2004, 01:12 PM

S550 / S430 / E320
I have not personally seen a US S-Class head unit display the DVD picture.

I spoke with someone who is in the business of installing TV and DVD systems and he told me that the hardware is exactly the same. He has taken apart both the US and Euro units and compared them. He has also loaded the EURO software onto the US unit turning the US unit into a EURO unit - it was a tedious task, but it proved the hardware has the capability of displaying the picture. He also said that since you only have executable code on the unit itself, it is extremely difficult to change.

I spoke with other people that tell me that they have changed the options using a modify star-diagnostic, but when the unit is re-installed into the car it recognizes that its a US vehicle and it changes back.

I think the key is to first understand how the software code works. Find out what does the software test to determine if the picture should be blocked. I'm sure there is a German Software engineer that could make the change in the source code in less than five minutes.
Old 12-10-2004, 04:53 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

some slow@$$diesels
I have not personally seen a US S-Class head unit display the DVD picture.
...exactly...I have tried to get the US spec S-class DVD comands to play DVDs by reprogramming the unit with a modified stardiagnose but even when all TV, DVD and videotext settings are enabled, the unit keeps coming up with the US specific no DVD screen...

greetingz,