Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

oem phone kits

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 09:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by superflysocal
scorchie,

just wanted to add to what i said earlier. in addition to the bad gsm coverage in my house, i also have teleaid that i use quite a bit, so at least for now until subscription ends in sept, i don't really want to part with it.

verizon actually (cdma) may work in my house and i am looking into getting a v60 for verizon.

not to undermine what you are saying, especially since you have been so helpful. everthing you have said makes total sense since on the 04 the pse is integrated with the teleaid and thus already included. however, i was just wondering if anybody has actually tried to do this and got it to work (bought a mb cardle and phone, install and activate through Star DAS without completer kit on 2004 s-class). is it possible that they could have included the pse but not "enabled" it and thus require something in the compensator to "enable" it? Silly, i know, but just wondering if others have done this successfully.
I have absolutely installed a few V60 models (from MBUSA) into 2003/2004 cars. It's just a simple "plug it in and go" thing... EXCEPT if your phone is not set to "PRESENT", you will need to have that programmed. Nothing to do with the compensator at all.

Until yesterday I was back running a V60 for testing... had it plugged in my 2003 W211. Today it's unplugged again. Just needs programming is all.

I've not done this on a 2004 S-class (that I remember), but if you READ THE INSTRUCTIONS FROM MERCEDES, it's exactly the same as the W211. So that's what I base my information on (that's also where I got the part numbers).

We do not sell self install kits for ANY vehicles that have a CP-HIGH (PSE integrated with TeleAid). This is because OUR phone kits (which comprise European Mercedes parts to allow use of the GSM phone parts or a V710) dad a PSE and require disabling of the CP-HIGH, which also disables TeleAid, and this REQUIRES programming with the StarDiagnosis. We may start to sell self-install kits for these cars with programming instructions that you can try to have your dealer do for you, but we're not certain that all dealerships will perform this service so we're still discussing it.

-s-
Old 01-13-2005, 08:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so what's it cost?

Originally Posted by scorchie
The 2005 models are completely different from 2003/2004 models

Because of the complexity, we're not yet planning for any self install kits. A suitable solution can be purchased from the dealership (at very high cost unfortunately) and installed. We can also install UHI for people, but don't want to be responsible for giving them instructions.

-s-
Got it. I looked at the install instructions on Pauls site for the 04 and the 05. They went from 11 pages to 22 pages.
How much is the UHI installed, without a phone, and when is Steve coming to NYC?
Old 01-13-2005, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by scorchie
We do not sell self install kits for ANY vehicles that have a CP-HIGH (PSE integrated with TeleAid). This is because OUR phone kits (which comprise European Mercedes parts to allow use of the GSM phone parts or a V710) dad a PSE and require disabling of the CP-HIGH, which also disables TeleAid, and this REQUIRES programming with the StarDiagnosis. We may start to sell self-install kits for these cars with programming instructions that you can try to have your dealer do for you, but we're not certain that all dealerships will perform this service so we're still discussing it.

-s-
If i can get access to Star Diagnoses, how much would a UHI kit for 04 S430? Does that include CDMA V710 cradle? Does that include voice command? Do I lose any functionality versus oem v60 MB system?
Old 01-13-2005, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by grassman
Got it. I looked at the install instructions on Pauls site for the 04 and the 05. They went from 11 pages to 22 pages.
How much is the UHI installed, without a phone, and when is Steve coming to NYC?
E-mailed...

-s-
Old 01-13-2005, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If i can get access to Star Diagnoses, how much would a UHI kit for 04 S430? Does that include CDMA V710 cradle? Does that include voice command? Do I lose any functionality versus oem v60 MB system?
We're in TX every two months so installation should not be an issue, or if you need it before the second week in February and can get access to Star Diagnosis, you're set. And, there's sunman!

Please note that to use a V710, you need MHI, not UHI. With MHI, it is required that you use a Mercedes-branded phone.

The MHI kit for your car is around $1200 ($1700 if you want voice control). You would still need to get a Mercedes V710, which is $935. This is custom stuff... thus the price. UHI is cheaper and lets you use a cheaper phone, but you chose V710!

You don't LOSE any functionality from V60, you GAIN it.

-s-
Old 01-13-2005, 05:10 PM

so what CDMA Verizon phones are available for UHI?
Old 01-13-2005, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

so what CDMA Verizon phones are available for UHI?
NONE

UHI = European = GSM.

Sorry it wasn't clear earlier (I thought it was ... must not have been).

-s-
Old 01-17-2005, 10:42 PM

1995 SL 320
OEM phone system

I have the original hands free phone system in my 1995 SL320.It is not activated.I have been told by MB that most cellphone companies no longer activate the old digital phones.The newest ones are the GSM variety.Would it be economically feasible to upgrade my entire phone system or even possible?
With all of the phone companies giving picture phone now for $49.99 with a 2 year contract I wonder if it is really worth the time and effort to upgrade.Any input would be appreciated
Old 01-26-2006, 01:51 PM

Hi,

I have a 2006 w220 without voice control or phone.

How much would it cost to add voice control, and what is needed. I have a star diag available to me so I can get the programming done. What parts will i need.

Just a VCM and a lever?
Old 01-28-2006, 08:26 AM

02' S55 AMG
There is another option for your S

Hi superflysocal,

I'm not sure if anybody has talked to u about the Mikbox; so I'll throw my two cents in;

I have a '02 s55; The S's, @ least the earlier models, came with just the prewiring. The v60 (on the mercedes edition ) was/is available but at a huge markup because of the chip required for the cell phones. The V60 is extremely outdated technology.

When I 1st purchased the car I went to the MB dealership and was quoted(laughed at) with a price of $2400 including the phone. Needless to say I wasn't paying 2400$ for old technology.

I then came across info on the Mikbox. By originally obtaining the partnumbers from the dealer I was able to locate a used part dealer on Ebay who had all the parts I needed in stock for about 800$.

I then purchased the Mikbox and cradle for my phone, the V700 (verizon edition) though there is a cradle available for the non MB v70 phone. The best part about the mikbox is that its completely upgradeable.

Once the parts all arrived i was able to install the unit. I found instructions posted on a web site with my model years MB bulletin instructions on how to install the phone system. For the mikbox I followed the instructions posted on his web site. 2 hours later I had a complete up-to-date handsfree phone system working in my S.

I have no affiliation with the guy who built the Mikbox...just think its a phenominal product!

Here's the link http://www.mikbox.com
Old 01-28-2006, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1986 560SEL, 97 BMW 740iL
Meantime, go to Cingular and get a phone and plan from them to try it out. You have 30 days to decide if it works for you in your house. If not, you'd know it in a few hours. Then you can return it and not stuck with a contract.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:50 PM

Timeport to V60 Cradle in 2001 E430

Hi, I have a 2001 E430 with the handsfree systems with a Motorola Timeport phone. I need to be able to use my new Bluetooth phone with the handsfree system by using the new MHI adapter. However, I was told, by AWS, that I would have to first install the V60 cradle before I could use the MHI adapter. So I need to know what it would take to convert my timeport cradle to a v60 cradle? Can I buy a kit somewhere and is it easy enough that I can install it myself? How much would it cost?

Thanks Kris