Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

W463 G, is there an Aux...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
E 63S Wagon Renntech, E55 Renntech, SL65, SL 55 030, ML, bunch of old ones--they come, they go...
W463 G, is there an Aux...

input on cars with a US Comand system? 02 US G500. Just looking for an ipod option...thanks.
Old 01-05-2005, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by allenjdmb
input on cars with a US Comand system? 02 US G500. Just looking for an ipod option...thanks.
There is no input, but the capability is there. We can sell you the cable that you just need to plug into your existing wiring harness... or if you're the tiniest bit adventurous, you can make your own (that's how I did it the first time).

The cable, being all Mercedes parts, is not cheap; but all you need to do is drill a 3/4" (well really 19mm I think) hole somewhere, like the glovebox, push it in to the hole, and hook the other end up to the back of your COMAND.

-s-
Old 01-18-2005, 09:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
scorchie - Will the cable you sell work on a 2005 G55? If so, how easy is it to install?

Thanks,
steve
Old 01-19-2005, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
66 230S 111.010 02 G500 463
Originally Posted by Steve T
scorchie - Will the cable you sell work on a 2005 G55? If so, how easy is it to install?

Thanks,
steve
Install is easy. I suggest you put in a noise filter at the same time. The MB cable isn't shielded very well and the G dash is very tight w/ all the electronics shoved in there. You get noticeable interference in the signal w/o the noise filter. I would actually suggest buying the noise filter from Radio Shack or Crutchfield and get 4 pins from MB. You really don't need the MB cable and end up removing several feet of un-needed cable with this method. Otherwise you have the MB cable, the noise filter, another cable, and several extra connections. You may not have the "official" glove box mounting method, but does that really matter?

Last edited by mb230s; 01-19-2005 at 10:19 AM.
Old 01-19-2005, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mb230s
Install is easy. I suggest you put in a noise filter at the same time. The MB cable isn't shielded very well and the G dash is very tight w/ all the electronics shoved in there. You get noticeable interference in the signal w/o the noise filter. I would actually suggest buying the noise filter from Radio Shack or Crutchfield and get 4 pins from MB. You really don't need the MB cable and end up removing several feet of un-needed cable with this method. Otherwise you have the MB cable, the noise filter, another cable, and several extra connections. You may not have the "official" glove box mounting method, but does that really matter?
Hmm... there are a few MB cables, of different lengths. Nothing to remove when the proper cable is used...

I never use a noise filter in ANY of my cars and never have noise problems. Wait... let's see, I had it in one car... but it was a long time ago. I think it was my Acura. If all connections are good and all grounding points are good and on the same level, there should be no problems, as long as the source is high quality. You get ground loop problems when you use something like a low quality MP3 player taking power from the accessory socket and plugged into the aux input on the COMAND. The key is that the power of the low quality MP3 player and the common of its output are not at the same potential (ground). Using something like an iPod with a high quality power cable should not have problems.

-s-
Old 01-20-2005, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
66 230S 111.010 02 G500 463
Originally Posted by scorchie
Hmm... there are a few MB cables, of different lengths. Nothing to remove when the proper cable is used...

I never use a noise filter in ANY of my cars and never have noise problems. Wait... let's see, I had it in one car... but it was a long time ago. I think it was my Acura. If all connections are good and all grounding points are good and on the same level, there should be no problems, as long as the source is high quality. You get ground loop problems when you use something like a low quality MP3 player taking power from the accessory socket and plugged into the aux input on the COMAND. The key is that the power of the low quality MP3 player and the common of its output are not at the same potential (ground). Using something like an iPod with a high quality power cable should not have problems.

-s-
I get the noise w/ my XM SkyFi. I used all the standard parts, maybe some better wiring would have helped. I'll check next time I'm in there. I have spoken with a few others that had some noise, if you are in there already it is something to consider.
Old 01-20-2005, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mb230s
I get the noise w/ my XM SkyFi. I used all the standard parts, maybe some better wiring would have helped. I'll check next time I'm in there. I have spoken with a few others that had some noise, if you are in there already it is something to consider.
Hmm, the XM product is probably fine by design. It might be defective, or if an isolator helped you, make sure the power supply and ground are thick wires and go to good supplies! Ground should usually go directly to one of the grounding studs around the car, there are a couple behind the dash. Also mounting... the best place for that stuff is near the gear shift in the center console.

Next time you're in there take a look! I get more noise from my dash vents than anything else.

-s-