Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Help! rear right red lamp doesn't work

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 02:07 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 E320
Help! rear right red lamp doesn't work

Hi everyone,
My MB 2001 E320 rear right (far left) red lamp doesn't go on and I do not see any lamp error in the instrument cluster. Someone told me all USA E class has that same issue? What's up with that???
Old 01-07-2005, 08:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL500
Originally Posted by mediasteam
Hi everyone,
My MB 2001 E320 rear right (far left) red lamp doesn't go on and I do not see any lamp error in the instrument cluster. Someone told me all USA E class has that same issue? What's up with that???
you are only supposed to have one, its the rear foglight and youre not supposed to drive with it on all the time. well i guess you could if you wanted to, but why?
Old 01-07-2005, 10:04 AM
Almost a Member!

2001 E320
Hmmm...! Ok, maybe it's the fog light. I do not drive with it all the time but when I do use it I notice that and thought it was wiered. So, it is supposed to be like that, any reason why?
Old 01-07-2005, 10:24 AM

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts
Chevrolet Chevette, Ford Pinto, Pontiac Aztek, Trabant, Yugo GV (and all the worst cars ever built)
Hmmm...! Ok, maybe it's the fog light. I do not drive with it all the time but when I do use it I notice that and thought it was wiered. So, it is supposed to be like that, any reason why?
IT IS THE FOG LIGHT!

Otherwise known as the courtesy fog lamp, which are found in many european cars (All my volvos have them). They are not standard for american nor japanese cars. These are turned on to alert the vehicles driving behind you of your presence during foggy conditions. Sometimes your rear running lights (red) are not bright enough for the drivers to see you in foggy conditions so it is necessary for a brighter red light. It is only on the left side because two bright red lights on the left and right would look like you are stepping on your brakes.

That is exactly why you cannot turn this lamp on without turning the front fog lamps on first. It follows the logical sequence of fog alert.

1) See fog in front = turn on front fog lamps by pulling light switch first time.
2) Fog too thick, danger of getting hit from behind = turn on rear courtesy light by pulling light switch second time.

I certainly hope that you do not drive using it at all unless necessary. Those who turn on this courtesy lamp on without the presence of fog would look errmm, uummm ... kinda stup.d, in my opinion.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL500
the purpose of the rear for light is so people behind you can see you when it's foggy out. making it a dual set-up would confuse a lot of people into thinking they're brake lights.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:41 AM
Almost a Member!

2001 E320
Thank you Pasfo for the detailed explanation. I had a e320 1994 and had the same thing but was always curious why. I'm glad I asked this question now I'll be able to explain someone why it is that way. I have been to the forum since last week and I have learned so much about my car and MB in general already.

I guess now I have to work on my bad habit of turning hd light switch and pulling all the way activating both front and rear fog lights. Thanks!

-Mediasteam
Old 01-07-2005, 11:31 AM

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts
Chevrolet Chevette, Ford Pinto, Pontiac Aztek, Trabant, Yugo GV (and all the worst cars ever built)
Thank you Pasfo for the detailed explanation. I had a e320 1994 and had the same thing but was always curious why. I'm glad I asked this question now I'll be able to explain someone why it is that way. I have been to the forum since last week and I have learned so much about my car and MB in general already.

I guess now I have to work on my bad habit of turning hd light switch and pulling all the way activating both front and rear fog lights. Thanks!

-Mediasteam

You are welcome. As the great book says a wise man will welcome correction because it will only make him wiser.
Old 01-07-2005, 08:49 PM

2023 AMG EQE 53 4MATIC+, Tesla Model Y
Originally Posted by Paxfobiscum
As the great book says a wise man will welcome correction because it will only make him wiser.
By "great book," you mean the owner's manual, which describes this feature? <g,d,r>
Old 01-07-2005, 10:45 PM
Almost a Member!

2001 E320
True, yet "great book" is the last thing we look at.