Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Your favorite companies?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
335xi
Your favorite companies?

What are your favorite companies for:
  1. Head Units
  2. Subwoofers
  3. Amplifiers

Thanks!
Old 02-14-2005, 03:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
W212 2009, W115 Pullman & EQC
Comand !...
Old 02-17-2005, 10:53 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
Pioneer/ alpine for HU... MBquarts/ Boston Acoustics for speakers at a higher somewhat normal price tag and JL for subs and amps... also Old school rockford Fosgate for Subs and Amps
Old 02-17-2005, 01:25 PM

1993 300CE, 1999 528i
Head Units: No Question Eclipse (quality and performance)

Amplifers: Orion, Eclipse, Zapco, Phoenix Gold, BRAX, Rockford Fosgate Power's, humm can't pick just one they are all top end quality and performance

Subwoofers: Orion, Eclipse, SoundSplinter, Power Bass, Stereo Integrity, Crystal, many more

Old 02-17-2005, 03:31 PM

2004 CLK500, 78 6.9,
What do you think, we're all millionaires here? Geez.

I had an Eclipse 7001 in my old truck, man those things sound so clean.

Originally Posted by denim
Head Units: No Question Eclipse (quality and performance)

Amplifers: Orion, Eclipse, Zapco, Phoenix Gold, BRAX, Rockford Fosgate Power's, humm can't pick just one they are all top end quality and performance

Subwoofers: Orion, Eclipse, SoundSplinter, Power Bass, Stereo Integrity, Crystal, many more

Old 02-17-2005, 07:20 PM

Tesla
I used to be an Alpine fan back in college days until I heard an Eclipse.

Then I had to get a second job to pay for it.

FujitsuTen makes top notch head units. Even the OEM ones they make for Toyota are excellent quality.
Old 02-21-2005, 01:36 PM

1993 300CE, 1999 528i
Originally Posted by jello2594
What do you think, we're all millionaires here? Geez.

I had an Eclipse 7001 in my old truck, man those things sound so clean.
:v

those are just my favorites,

I have mostly Eclipse, Orion, and RF equipment now
Old 02-21-2005, 10:16 PM
Almost a Member!

1985 190E 2.3
For headunits....Pioneer! Thats all ill ever buy.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:18 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I dunno!

What I've been raised on?

Subs: JL, Kicker
Amps: JL, McIntosh
HU: Match it with the factory

Last edited by vraa; 02-21-2005 at 10:21 PM. Reason: because i rock and you dont.
Old 02-27-2005, 07:16 PM

1979 911SC, 2001 E55, 1999 CLK430, 1993 190E 2.6
Decks- Alpine- CDA9835 will give any Eclipse(not knocking Eclipse- great brand) a run for the money and is Satellite ready.
Amps- JL- JL5005
Subs- JL- 10W3V2D4
Speakers- MB Quart/JL's
Old 02-28-2005, 11:53 PM

96 S600 Euro, 91 560 SEC, 88 300TE, 87 560SEL, 86 560SL, 80 280SE, 64 Austin Healey 3000MIII
Well, My clarion HX D10 is great, but I'm really loving my Sony Mobile ES CDX C90 w/ an XDP4000 processor. It's running to MBQ's all around w/ JL amps. I'll be adding a JL sub powered by an Old (ie, bench tuned) PPI amp.

Jonathan
Old 03-01-2005, 04:02 AM

2005 SL55
Let me start out in reverse order. JL Audio subs are probably the best sub for SQ, Kicker Solobaric is probably the best for SPL. As far as amps to drive the subs, of course JL amp for JL sub. You can't beat Brax, but who really has the money. But for amps overall, if you can get your hands on McIntosh amps (old school) you're hard core (try ebay).

Speaker rankings:

1. Focal (Utopia) / McIntosh / Diamond Audio
2. MB Quarts / Eclipse / A/D/S
3. Infinity / Sony / and the rest

HUs, so many good ones, but remember, the only one that integrates with an iPod are Alpines.

Last words, there are two types of people that purchase aftermarket car audio:

1. Are the people that want to show of their cars and to receive bragging rights. Usually these people like to have a really loud sound system. If you're this type, think big! Big subwoofers, big everything. You'd probably want to go with a cheaper system (you'll probably blow out a couple speakers and go through a few sets).

2. Are the kinds of people who get it for sound quality. They get it because they love music and they want it reproduced accurately (a car is not the best place to reproduce music) and just want to get a high end system for themselves. Most of these people will take the time to really fine tune the system and usually try to get the best equipment.

There’s also a 3rd kind, the kinds of people that just get it because they blew out a stock speaker, but they don’t really count.

Think about it and decide which of the above you are. The most important thing is, when it comes down to it, brand means nothing. Most people can't hear the difference between their stock speakers and their aftermarket speakers. So basically take this advice/poll with a grain of salt and go audition the speakers before you purchase them, and try not to pay attention to brand unless your #1 (above).
Old 03-02-2005, 10:42 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
Originally Posted by xaveon
Let me start out in reverse order. JL Audio subs are probably the best sub for SQ, Kicker Solobaric is probably the best for SPL. As far as amps to drive the subs, of course JL amp for JL sub. You can't beat Brax, but who really has the money. But for amps overall, if you can get your hands on McIntosh amps (old school) you're hard core (try ebay).

Speaker rankings:

1. Focal (Utopia) / McIntosh / Diamond Audio
2. MB Quarts / Eclipse / A/D/S
3. Infinity / Sony / and the rest

HUs, so many good ones, but remember, the only one that integrates with an iPod are Alpines.

Last words, there are two types of people that purchase aftermarket car audio:

1. Are the people that want to show of their cars and to receive bragging rights. Usually these people like to have a really loud sound system. If you're this type, think big! Big subwoofers, big everything. You'd probably want to go with a cheaper system (you'll probably blow out a couple speakers and go through a few sets).

2. Are the kinds of people who get it for sound quality. They get it because they love music and they want it reproduced accurately (a car is not the best place to reproduce music) and just want to get a high end system for themselves. Most of these people will take the time to really fine tune the system and usually try to get the best equipment.

There’s also a 3rd kind, the kinds of people that just get it because they blew out a stock speaker, but they don’t really count.

Think about it and decide which of the above you are. The most important thing is, when it comes down to it, brand means nothing. Most people can't hear the difference between their stock speakers and their aftermarket speakers. So basically take this advice/poll with a grain of salt and go audition the speakers before you purchase them, and try not to pay attention to brand unless your #1 (above).
VERY TRUE as a part time sale person and installer I have seen people pick a cheap crap deck over a nice entry level... One of my questions for those unsure of what they are looking for is I take the best radio and the worst radio and play them through the same speakers... if they can hear the difference I show them other models, if they cant, I send them out the door with the basics of what they need and nothing more... I work fora BIG retailer that is taking over the US... Stores everywhere...

Anyways, number 1 rule is sound quaity is heard in the ears of the beholder. Many of the brands that some people have mentioned are elite brands and are jaw dropping works of art in themselves... but cost some phenomanal prices... as Xaveon stated figure out what type of audiophile you are and then what level your at and then finding products will be easier...