Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Voice Recognition System & Euro COMAND Discoveries

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Voice Recognition System & Euro COMAND Discoveries

I discovered that the Voice Recognition System in my w208 controls more than just the Phone functions, it will also control Radio and CD functions. It will allow voice commands to switch radio stations, radio bands , CD discs and tracks and also toggle between the radio, CD, phone and navigation. I never knew it did any of this because my built-in v60 phone is not activated (I bought the car used) and I assumed that VC could not be used for anything else besides the phone. The Voice Recognition System instruction manual doesn't even mention any of this.

The most interesting discovery, though, involves the Euro COMAND unit that Steve installed for me a few months back. Since AM frequency spacing is at 9KHz intervals for Euro COMAND, stations such as 980KHz will lock in at 981KHz. However, by using the VC and saying "980" in the microphone, the radio will actually go to 980 and stay there. And this worked for all of the other stations that I listen to here in the Los Angeles area. So is the Euro COMAND actually locked in at 980 or locked in at 981 but just indicating 980? Steve?
Old 02-22-2005, 02:19 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
Originally Posted by Mr. Big
So is the Euro COMAND actually locked in at 980 or locked in at 981 but just indicating 980? Steve?
I don't know...is the quality worse, the same or better?

All I know is that the US VR unit I use in our Vito is quite useless as it won't tune into half of the FM frequencies...

greetingz,
Old 02-22-2005, 09:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E320 CDI.SOLD..'02 CLK430 Cabrio(SOLD),08 Disco3..1996 FLH-TP, 2017 E300
My experience

Originally Posted by Mr. Big
I discovered that the Voice Recognition System in my w208 controls more than just the Phone functions, it will also control Radio and CD functions. It will allow voice commands to switch radio stations, radio bands , CD discs and tracks and also toggle between the radio, CD, phone and navigation. I never knew it did any of this because my built-in v60 phone is not activated (I bought the car used) and I assumed that VC could not be used for anything else besides the phone. The Voice Recognition System instruction manual doesn't even mention any of this.

The most interesting discovery, though, involves the Euro COMAND unit that Steve installed for me a few months back. Since AM frequency spacing is at 9KHz intervals for Euro COMAND, stations such as 980KHz will lock in at 981KHz. However, by using the VC and saying "980" in the microphone, the radio will actually go to 980 and stay there. And this worked for all of the other stations that I listen to here in the Los Angeles area. So is the Euro COMAND actually locked in at 980 or locked in at 981 but just indicating 980? Steve?
AM radio reception (I'm a talk radio and sports junkie) was one of my major concerns when I ordered my Euro spec Comand from Steve...BUT...I was pleasantly surprised when I found I could tune in the stations perfectly with both VRS and manually.

I live in the NY-NJ Metro area and in my opinion the Comand unit pulls in the AM stations better than the stock radio did. (2002 CLK430 w/ Bose). The only major drawback is no weather, and you can't tune in some AM stations at the very high end of the frec., These shortcomings though, are more than made up for with the RDS capability on the FM band.