Audio/Video Forum to discuss audio and video, both mobile and home.

3D TV quick review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 03:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
3D TV quick review

Well, bought myself a late Christmas gift, had a new 63" Sammy plasma 3D TV (Series 7+) and HT-C6950W 3D all in one home theater system delivered yesterday. I wasn't in the market for a 3D TV, just something bigger than the 50" I have here but the wife and daughter were 'hinting' for it...

Anyways, as a 2D TV the picture quality is stunning and will just get better (plasmas have the break in period), very impresseive for a TV of this size. We watched 'Aliens vs Monsters' in 3D last night and I tell you this - if all 3D movies look this good, I'm sold. I was speechless, the picture quality was again (as it should be) stunning and the 3D depth was quite impressive. Watching 'Inception' (great flick) in 3D 'converted mode' was also surprisingly good in some scenes but reminded me a lot of when Dolby Pro-Logic was first introduced, converting stereo to surround sound (it was actually 4 ch), good first step but it could be better. Saying that, the introduction of Pro-Logic II (2ch to 5.1) was and still is very impressive, so I imagine that the next 3D conversion leap will also be much better.

In regards to the home theater package, I've never been a fan of the 'all in one deals', I've always used seperate components (HK recievers and Sammy DVD/BR players) but thought I would give this system a try. As a BR player it's fantastic, loads up quickly and does everything my other component one does. As a reciever, like above, I was surprised, the sound is crisp & balanced, the 7.1 adds a lot of depth behind the listener speakers are fairly well made and the center ch is very productive. It's not up to my HK & JBL system (nor should it be at a fraction of the cost) but it's very good with one exception - the passive sub. Having a passive sub is like bying a SLS AMG with a 4 cyl - it just doesn't go with the rest of the system.

All in all I'm very impressed with the TV, stunning picture quality, very thin (1.4") and the 3D capability is a cool 'bonus' feature. For those who are in the market for a big 3D TV, I highly recommend it. I will however go back to a component home theater system after I find a component 3D BR player - but this is only because I am a pure audiophile, others will be very, very happy with it as is.

Anyone else have a 3D TV? I'd like to hear your thoughts on what you have.

*Edit* I just watched 'Revenge of the Sith' on DVD, the upconversion process from 480i to 1080p is go good that I could have sworn I was watching it on BluRay. Watching anything on the 50" Sammy (moved it into the bedroom) is going to be a disapointment now.

Last edited by Kevwood; 12-31-2010 at 09:01 AM. Reason: DVD upconversion
Old 12-31-2010, 01:20 PM

Mercedes E55 AMG (2006), Mercedes 560 SEL (1991)
Next, Gran Turismo in 3D...!
Old 12-31-2010, 01:34 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
Sounds good Kev. I was thinking of upgrading my 52" to something bigger in 3D before the summer gets here.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
I've watched about a dozen movies on it now (2D) and I'm still amazed at the picture quality, I just can't recommend this TV enough. In the store it had the best picture by far, set up in my living room and adjusted a little, it's even better. I just wish that we got 'true' HD TV here, I'd love to be watching hockey and NASCAR on it.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:36 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
haha, You gave it a little "custom tune"..
Old 01-02-2011, 07:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

lol, you know me mate, I just gotta fiddle with things... I'm the guy that measures out the angles of my home theater speakers! I feel bad for my wife, must be hell living with a perfectionist with a touch of OCD
Old 09-01-2011, 01:32 PM

2003 R170
would love to see your set up. Was thinking about upgrading to 3d tv myself...
Old 09-23-2011, 05:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mickjackson
would love to see your set up. Was thinking about upgrading to 3d tv myself...
I was looking at the prices for 50" LCD TV's the other day and couldn't believe it, the prices are really getting attractive. I paid a small fortune for my plasma 63" 3D but still have no regrets, I love it just as much today as I did when I bought it. I really wish there was a far better selection of 3D blurays here though, the choices are very limited but getting a little better month by month. I was shocked to see how many 3D movies were available when I was in Canada over the summer, unfortunately my BR player is region 2/B.

Anyways, do it! There are even 3D sports channels available in north America and Europe now