Audio/Video Forum to discuss audio and video, both mobile and home.

Need New Receiver - What ya got or like?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2023, 08:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 678 Likes on 501 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
Need New Receiver - What ya got or like?

Anyone buy a new HT Receiver lately and give me honest review?

HAd 12 year Old Yamaha RX-A1030 which has the sound processing chip fail. so either no sound for hour or snap crackle pop as it warms up.

No real fix as I cannot find the new replacement chip unless I buy $1000 from some wholesaler.

New Motherboard is OVer $500 which is a lot for something that is this old and not worth $500 anymore.

I am looking AT Yamaha RX-A4A
Budget is $1k to $1.4k.

Decided the ones that cost more aren't worth it due my crappy ears and eyes. sucks getting old.
Old 03-01-2024, 12:50 PM

Received 183 Likes on 146 Posts
'23 GLS450
What did you end up getting?
I'm running a Denon 3800 and paid for the Dirac Live RC upgrade. I have the very coveted "Atmos Bubble" calibrated and it's great for movies AND music!
Old 03-02-2024, 05:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E400 Sedan
Onkyo TX-RZ50 - Asit had everthing I wanted - ALMOST.

I have 2 tvs connected since I have large open area - one is main screen for just me and wife and then another hangs over fireplace on other end of room.
This 2nd TV shows whatever the main one does and WAS supposed to play the same sounds as the main comes from speaker setup.

Issue is to have 2nd to play sound I have to basically loose ability to play from speakers on the main.

It sends the video signal down the HDMI cable to #2 but not the Audio if the Main TV sound is setup for surround and uses speakers connected to Receiver - which is why you buy the dayum thing in first place.

I like everything else about it - has good app to control things which makes playing the music on my patio (zone 2) easier than using stock remote.

I would buy again if there were not any new ones in my price range to check out.

Old 03-02-2024, 08:49 AM

'23 GLS450
Originally Posted by ygmn
Onkyo TX-RZ50 - Asit had everthing I wanted - ALMOST.

I have 2 tvs connected since I have large open area - one is main screen for just me and wife and then another hangs over fireplace on other end of room.
This 2nd TV shows whatever the main one does and WAS supposed to play the same sounds as the main comes from speaker setup.

Issue is to have 2nd to play sound I have to basically loose ability to play from speakers on the main.

It sends the video signal down the HDMI cable to #2 but not the Audio if the Main TV sound is setup for surround and uses speakers connected to Receiver - which is why you buy the dayum thing in first place.

I like everything else about it - has good app to control things which makes playing the music on my patio (zone 2) easier than using stock remote.

I would buy again if there were not any new ones in my price range to check out.
Some followup questions:

1) Is it possible for TV #2 to run with passthrough audio so that at least you can get audio through the TV speakers?
If not, see if this thread is helpful to you:
https://www.avsforum.com/threads/202...#post-61806625

2) Any issues at all in terms of power delivery from the RZ50 (especially w/low impedance speakers)?

3) Have you tried running Dirac at all since it is included in the AVR price?
Old 03-03-2024, 07:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E400 Sedan
#1 - Long answer but coffee is kicking this AM.

I tried everything to get sound pass thru and the one way to get it as I have my system kills the Dolby 7.1 and makes both TV #1&2 just plain DOlby 2.0 yuck!

I did have discuss with ONKYO tech support; who were great to work with and he understood what I wanted to do and he said only way I could do that was to run an RCA type digital audio output to the TV #2,
Well that would require a 75ft cable (that is how long #2 HDMI cable) and then connect to #2 TV input - Problem here is TV#2 does not have Audio input and I was not buying another TV since I was planning (since purchased) a new #1 TV since my old DLP was showing some pixelated spots on screen.

He admitted he could not understand why it didn't pass Audio via the HDMI for #2TV but thinks it may have to do with having another audio decoder chip for that HDMI Output since it is a monitor output that canbe switched to ZONE2.
HE did say maybe one day they could update Firmware to make it work and he would let me know.

There was another way but required I get an external amplifier for my patio speakers and connect to them to Zone 3 and then reconnect this TV to Zone 2 and turn on Zone 2 every time I Want to watch TV#2.
Which would be a PIA since trying to explain to the wife how to get TV#2 on and working would make her brain explode due to having to use more than one remote and buttons other than volume and channel.
I might end up doing this some day if I can find reasonable priced amp and SNEAK it by the GOALIE (WIFE)

for now the large speakers used on TV#1 are close (and loud enough) for those watching TV #2 to hear what is going on.
I man we probably use it 1-3 times per month - More so for Football and other sports

My dream is TV in every common area room and bathrooms so you do not miss a thing while watching football all mirroring what TV#1 is playing.

#2 - I only use the built-in amps for my ceiling surrounds and patio speakers and works well for them but again they are surrounds and not taxed that much.
Patio speakers - I Wish I had more power and more speakers as it is hard to make the music seamless outdoors using only 2 speakers,

For my main system (TV#1), Left - Center - Right speakers are Klipsch RF7-RC7-RF7.
the RFs are pretty demanding and low impedance when playing low sounds/music BUT I have a McIntosh amplifier connected to Receiver to handle these 3 speakers.

#3 - Yes I did run DIRAC; 2 times once in the simple mode where the mike only goes to 3 places and then the Comprehensive version where you move the mic it felt like 9-10 times.

I can say each made the sound better and of course the more complex one was the best. Does take a while and all it takes is a phone call or dog bark or a sneeze and you have to start over, so I tried once got frustrated so waited until family goes out and did it alone. also, I suggest before doing it to know where you are placing the mike - a stand with an arm would have been awesome but I had nothing so had to just place the dayum thing somewhere for every spot.

My old Yamaha system had their own feature to do this, and I do not feel it helped as much as the DIRAC for room correction.

This DIRAC really improved the clarity from the LCR speakers and cleared up the Surrounds (Sides & Rears).
Totally worth it - IT truly corrects and makes the sound better overall.

My purchase is I am thinking of some ATMOS up firing speakers for the top of my mains - But I already have my surrounds in the ceiling due to windows and open room - start researching next year.

Old 03-03-2024, 08:40 AM

'23 GLS450
I was going to suggest you buy a defunct Slingbox from eBay but since you don't have any audio inputs on TV #2, it becomes pointless! The slingbox would have also required an ethernet connection near TV #2 or really strong WiFi since it would create audio/video lag. If you've never heard of the old Slingbox, it acted as a cable box repeater and allowed you to stream while you were traveling or in a different room. Are you sure TV #2 has zero audio inputs? What brand and model is it?
To be honest, expecting audio AND video from 2 external HDMI ports from a sub $2k consumer mass market item is probably asking a lot (not enough chips as you said)!

If I'm not mistaken, I don't think the RZ50 has a pre-out mode where it shuts down power to the channel you plan to externally amplify. In other words, your surrounds don't get more power just because you have the other 3 channels externally amplified! This is the reason I went with Denon because it allows you to shut down channels on a paired basis (front L/R, surround L/R, etc.). With Onkyo, I believe it's all or nothing and you're better off using the RZ50 as a prepro.

I dialed in Dirac Live room correction on my Denon 3800 and was able to get the coveted "Dolby Atmos Bubble" using a 9-point measurement. The key is making the Middle Listening Positon (MLP) a couple inches in front of your nose instead of where your ears are! I agree that dialogue from the center channel had much more clarity once DL was used!