Automotive Leasing & Financing Discuss the leasing and financing of your Mercedes-Benz.

"Lease Edge" or other lease end insurance are the necessary with "First Class Finish"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R350
Question "Lease Edge" or other lease end insurance are the necessary with "First Class Finish"

New MB Lessee here. I just leased a R350 due to a great deal on the car/sport tourer etc...

My question is as follows:

The dealer offered a lease end "insurance policy" through Lease Edge. The policy for $699 is supposed to cover up to $2,500 worth of dents, scratches, paint damage, interior fabric (MB Tex) damage, replace tires if needed (less than 1/8 th inch), replace brakes (if needed), bumper covers, glass damage, etc...I guess you get the point....

My question is:

How strict in MB Finance on lease returns? Is this something that I need? How long will the brakes last on this heavy car?

Background....3 kids (14, 7, and 6)...my guess is that the car will get scratched in the driveway and that the wife may run it over a curb once or twice over the term of the lease....lease details...27 months with 12k/yr...

In the end is the $699 price a rip off or can I potentially save some money on the back end?

Thanks for your opinion....BTW after 4 days we love the R350...great drive and solid car....
Old 11-30-2006, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 C230WZ
On the mbusa.com site, there is a podcast describing the first class finish, which basically says to use the "credit card test" meaning, if the damaged area can be fully covered up by a credit card, you are not responsible for it. I don't feel that policy would be a good investment for me but then again I am the only driver, a careful one at that as well as being fussy about my cars appearance. I once saw a lease return C240 prior to being cleaned that looked like it was had been as a dining room for toddlers. I know I would have charged them a few hundred just to detail the inside!

To me, its just a dealer add on to make additional money, but your mileage may vary