Automotive Leasing & Financing Discuss the leasing and financing of your Mercedes-Benz.

Custom Build Pricing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 11:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
N/A
Custom Build Pricing

I hope this is in the right place. I'm wanting to do a custom build on a C300 to make sure I get all of the exact specs that I want. Checking around with several dealers, it sounds like there isn't much in discounts offered on custom builds. Maybe a couple percent off MSRP. Does that sound right? I would think if I was spending the extra money to add specific features that it should be easy to cut me a break there, but I've tried multiple dealers and none of them budge at all. If I still end up doing this and go to sign the paperwork with the dealer, are there any other things I could ask for that I'd have a decent shot at getting like free pre-paid maintenance or something? Sorry for being so noob at this. It's my first time.
Old 08-13-2019, 05:07 PM

2014 Mustang GT, 2020 GLC
Did you ever figure it out? Curious to see what you ended up doing as I'm in a similar situation.
Old 08-13-2019, 05:58 PM

N/A
Wow I'm surprised you found this 2 year old post. I guess it's good I have email notifications turned on. I ended up custom ordering a car from the Mercedes dealer in Plano, TX. He gave me something like 4% off MSRP and that's it, but it's more than any other dealer would offer me. Also, I can't remember what I paid but I remember feeling like I got a good deal on 4 years of pre-paid maintenance, but I can't say that I wouldn't have gotten the same deal if I had been buying an in-stock vehicle. Ultimately, I think it's the same argument people make for buying new vs slightly used. I probably paid way too much, but I also can say I got every last detail 100% what I wanted with no compromises, and thankfully I was financially able to afford that at the time.
Old 08-16-2019, 06:24 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK 320 convertible
This is what I've been told. If MB dealers are like most other dealers they have a ton of money tied up in inventory and the longer that inventory stays on the lot the more it costs them. Plus dealers get holdback money and dealer cash from the manufacturer when they sell a car off of their lot. I don't know if they get that on a special order. For those reasons they would rather sell you a car off of their lot than order one for you.

A potentially useful article:

https://www.cbtnews.com/dealers-expe...-cost-erosion/
Old 08-20-2019, 02:43 PM

Received 125 Likes on 92 Posts
2020 MB E450 Estate, 2019 Kia Niro Touring
Deleted post as it didn't really add much.

Last edited by rraisley; 08-20-2019 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Deleted
Old 09-06-2019, 01:39 AM

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
2020 GLC 300
Originally Posted by jinark
This is what I've been told. If MB dealers are like most other dealers they have a ton of money tied up in inventory and the longer that inventory stays on the lot the more it costs them. Plus dealers get holdback money and dealer cash from the manufacturer when they sell a car off of their lot. I don't know if they get that on a special order. For those reasons they would rather sell you a car off of their lot than order one for you.

I think they get the hold back on ordered cars as well. If they don't have the car someone wants on the lot, then they could lose the buyer altogether. When a customer orders a car, they have no flooring costs, so I don't understand why they couldn't give you a better deal when ordering a car. It might have something to do with sales people and their commissions that gets in the way.
Old 06-10-2020, 03:51 PM

335i
Originally Posted by jinark

Good article, thanks!