Automotive Leasing & Financing Discuss the leasing and financing of your Mercedes-Benz.

2021 GLS450

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2023, 01:55 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
2020 S63 4matic+
2021 GLS450

EDIT: I ended up leasing 2023 GLS450

We have 2021 GLS 450 with about 35K miles - just slightly above the allowance. We have 5 months left on the lease. The dealer offered a new 2023 GLS 450 (with a good discount) with about the same monthly lease payment as the current car's lease. It has a bit fewer options, but it's fine by us. I like the current car but do not love it. My wife, who drives it - likes it. Should I refinance the current 2021 GLS 450 to keep it or switch to a new lease?

If we refinance, the dealer suggested going through them rather than doing a buyout through MBFS. My friend said some dealers would sell it back to me at a reduced cost, is this true, and if so any recommendations for a dealer (in or out of CT state)? I am in Norwalk, CT 06851. Extended warranty or CPO status is not important to me. There is a balance of factory warranty but it will be wiped out if the car is re-sold by the dealer, correct?

Last edited by CityBoy; 09-26-2023 at 10:00 PM.
Old 09-27-2023, 08:18 AM

Received 197 Likes on 159 Posts
'23 GLS450
Originally Posted by CityBoy
EDIT: I ended up leasing 2023 GLS450

We have 2021 GLS 450 with about 35K miles - just slightly above the allowance. We have 5 months left on the lease. The dealer offered a new 2023 GLS 450 (with a good discount) with about the same monthly lease payment as the current car's lease. It has a bit fewer options, but it's fine by us. I like the current car but do not love it. My wife, who drives it - likes it. Should I refinance the current 2021 GLS 450 to keep it or switch to a new lease?

If we refinance, the dealer suggested going through them rather than doing a buyout through MBFS. My friend said some dealers would sell it back to me at a reduced cost, is this true, and if so any recommendations for a dealer (in or out of CT state)? I am in Norwalk, CT 06851. Extended warranty or CPO status is not important to me. There is a balance of factory warranty but it will be wiped out if the car is re-sold by the dealer, correct?
Too late now but I would have suggested you finish out your 5 months on the lease (5 months of downpayment lost) and look for a deal on the '24 models, which has significant changes from prior years. Also, your '21 model probably has features you can't get on a '23 due to de-contenting and supply chain constraints.

If you ever wanted to tap into the equity of your current lease, never just give up your current car w/o a fight because what you owe w/a check to MBFS (buyout) is probably less than what your dealer is willing to give you. The strange post-Pandemic used car market is still quite in demand (especially w/UAW strikes), albeit slowly dying off.
Old 09-27-2023, 08:37 AM

2020 S63 4matic+
Originally Posted by EWL5
Too late now but I would have suggested you finish out your 5 months on the lease (5 months of downpayment lost) and look for a deal on the '24 models, which has significant changes from prior years. Also, your '21 model probably has features you can't get on a '23 due to de-contenting and supply chain constraints.

If you ever wanted to tap into the equity of your current lease, never just give up your current car w/o a fight because what you owe w/a check to MBFS (buyout) is probably less than what your dealer is willing to give you. The strange post-Pandemic used car market is still quite in demand (especially w/UAW strikes), albeit slowly dying off.
Thank you!

MBFS is "forgiving" 3 months lease with a new lease contract or purchase. The dealer is compensating me for the remaining payment.

In terms of features there is less options on 2023 car we are getting but the truth is - we don't need/use all bells and whistles. I may miss acoustic comfort option but certainly won't cry over that.

2024 model has s a step up vs 2023 - I agree with this. But again, I don't see a reason to pay extra $200+ a month for 13HP upgrade and MBUX 2.0 and fancy rear lights. The front grill on '24 model reminds me GMC Sierra truck and I am not ready to accept that.
Old 09-27-2023, 08:49 AM

Received 197 Likes on 159 Posts
'23 GLS450
The extra $200 a month is worth it if you factor in the crazy inflation we've had since you last leased. Consider the following additional differences on the '24:

1) '23 has wired CP/AA while the new '24 has wireless.
2) '24 has a new capacitive touch steering wheel. I didn't wait for the '24 because I could see accidental "swipes" getting old real fast!
3) Driving Assistance Package is now standard
4) MBUX 2.0 vs 1.0
5) Burmester audio system can now process Dolby Atmos
6) Transparent Hood feature allows you to "see" underneath the car for better
maneuverability

Agreed that the look of the car is now way more polarizing than before but the above improvements are well worth the additional $200/month (especially if you factor in inflation).
Honestly, I think you may miss the acoustic comfort option. Road noise is very obvious once you drive the car for a while.

Remember, if you follow my advice and finish out your lease, the new '24 model should be less than $200/month extra by then (not to mention you can probably spec it the way you like it)!
The dealer is not doing you a "favor" by getting you out of your lease early as they will get max profit from a highly sought after older car w/more features!

Last edited by EWL5; 09-27-2023 at 08:53 AM.
Old 09-27-2023, 09:06 AM

2020 S63 4matic+
thank you for the detailed comparison. I read this on another thread a few days ago. "transparent hood" was new to me - thanks for pointing this out but I don't really care for that.

Acoustic noise on another hand is important to me. I'll see if the dealer can get me a '24 car and what it would cost.
The following users liked this post:
EWL5 (09-27-2023)
Old 09-28-2023, 01:22 PM

2020 S63 4matic+
Originally Posted by EWL5
The extra $200 a month is worth it if you factor in the crazy inflation we've had since you last leased. Consider the following additional differences on the '24:

1) '23 has wired CP/AA while the new '24 has wireless.
2) '24 has a new capacitive touch steering wheel. I didn't wait for the '24 because I could see accidental "swipes" getting old real fast!
3) Driving Assistance Package is now standard
4) MBUX 2.0 vs 1.0
5) Burmester audio system can now process Dolby Atmos
6) Transparent Hood feature allows you to "see" underneath the car for better maneuverability

Agreed that the look of the car is now way more polarizing than before but the above improvements are well worth the additional $200/month (especially if you factor in inflation).
Honestly, I think you may miss the acoustic comfort option. Road noise is very obvious once you drive the car for a while.

Remember, if you follow my advice and finish out your lease, the new '24 model should be less than $200/month extra by then (not to mention you can probably spec it the way you like it)!
The dealer is not doing you a "favor" by getting you out of your lease early as they will get max profit from a highly sought after older car w/more features!
You are absolutely right. My situation is a bit different and waiting another 1 - 5 months is not an option. I can wait 2-3 weeks the most.
I can't find a '24 car with an acoustic option without spending an additional $8K on other packages. But I'd consider '24 car when I go to the dealer tomorrow to finalize the deal.
Thank you!
The following users liked this post:
EWL5 (09-28-2023)