Best Practice when driving a 7G DCT vehicle?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W246 B200
Question Best Practice when driving a 7G DCT vehicle?

Best Practice when driving a 7G DCT vehicle?
I am looking for advice regarding ‘best practice’ when driving a vehicle with a duel clutch transmission and in particular the 7G DCT as fitted to my B200.
For instance, in city traffic is it better to just leave it in drive all the time while waiting at traffic lights like you would if driving an automatic; or is it better to flick it into neutral if you’re expecting to be stationary for a while, like you would do if driving a manual vehicle?
By ‘best practice’ I mean what’s best for the longevity of the clutches and the associated equipment; dose this stuff wear more when left in drive while stationary or dose shifting into neutral then back to drive regularly cause more wear?
I can definitely hear some load come off the engine when I go from D into N when stationary.
As you would have gathered I drive my ‘B’ with the Eco mode turned off, otherwise this question wouldn’t be so relevant.
With my manual vehicle I always downshift as I’m slowing down to a stop and would often not use the brakes until the last ten meters, I’m not talking aggressive double shuffle stuff here, just simple downshifts to use the engine breaking effect to slow down. The paddle shifts on the steering wheel of the ‘B’ make this very easy but is this bad practice with a DCT?
It’s disappointing to have noticed that the engine braking effect of my B200 (petrol) is a lot less than my 2Lt. fuel injected manual, so even if this manual downshifting is an OK practice with the ‘B’ it won’t save brake wear to the same degree it does with my manual vehicle.
I’m hoping for feedback from someone with a real working knowledge of the Mercedes 7G DCT, a service technician would be great.
I have read that the clutches of the 7G DCT on the ‘B’ are 'oil cooled, but I don’t know if this means the B200 has a ‘wet clutch’.
Finally, dose anyone out there drive the 7G DCT in Manual mode on a regular basis?