Fog lights as DRL??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 05:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
B180 cdi ‘09
Fog lights as DRL??

Hi fellas. I was wondering if there was a way to program or wire my fog lights as Daytime Running Lights on my w245?? I don’t wanna buy aftermarket DRL’s. Any opinion appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-02-2018, 11:28 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
There's no way to actuate fog lights as DRLs via menu settings in W245 (or W169), however there are ways to re-wire them, to achieve this.

BTW, the dipped beam lights can be actuated as DRLs via menu.

I fitted an aftermarket DRLs in my A200 three years ago, and it was good, but a bit convoluted to replace an individual light (my own design, so no one to blame, but myself):

I decided to go back to OEM look, without losing the LED light during daytime.

I therefore re-wired the fogs, and fitted H11 LED bulbs with a very similar beam pattern.

I also didn't want to lose the "follow me home" and other functions of the Lights package, so had to make sure, the new bulbs can work as DRL and as standard fogs, without conflict.

It works lights are actuated by both the DRL controller and SAM - no error messages, no flickering.

Here's the custom wiring harness with a test bulb (I use different ones later on):

Of course, if you'd rather not go through all that, you can always switch to side lights during the day, and pull the selector one stop to activate the front fog lights.

PS I also converted the turn indicator lights to dual function, but that's a different story - I only did the fogs, because I thought I won't be able to convert the turn indicators, so ended up with two DRL lights now:

The following users liked this post:
Hey Hoser (12-05-2021)
Old 09-02-2018, 02:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
B180 cdi ‘09
Oh wow. Thats a lot of work you have put there but I gotta say really impressive especially functionality wise.
I was hoping I could achieve the volvo v70 2009+ effect where you have only the fog lights on during daylight and if you would enter a tunnel or it would get dark the dipped beam headlights would take play and the fog lights would just go off automatically but I guess that’s a no go for this type of car without some aftermarket DRL package.
Thank a ton for the info anyway, appreciated.
The following users liked this post:
Chode McBlob (09-02-2018)
Old 12-05-2021, 04:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w169
Can you share link about additional controller for fog drl ?