Front wipers stopped working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2024, 04:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B180 CDI 2006 the manual
Front wipers stopped working

​​​​​​Hi guys, yesterday I was driving and the wipers randomly stopped full up on the windscreen after 30 seconds to a minute they started working again, carried on down the road this happened again, they went off a bit longer and then they came back on and then they were fine after that.
Today I have driven the car and found that they have stopped working all together after driving for around 15 minutes with them on, I have been unable to get them started again and I have been reading through threads on the forum and on other forums checking things out.

I have checked fuses 39 and 69, they are absolutely fine, I have taken the glove box out and had a look at the Sam module relays and tested them with a multimeter all of the only readings are within range reading at around 79, I have taken the wiper arms off and put a multimeter to the plug that plugs into the motor and I'm not finding a 12 volt supply, I am unsure whether I will as there is one thing green cable, large brown and two large red, one with white stripe and the other with a purple.(I ran the test with the bonnet closed.)

When turning the switch on the stalk to turn on and off the wipers I can hear the relays clicking.(Please watch video in link)

The joints on the wiper arm linkage are moving freely I have been able to move the arms back and forth and there's just motor resistance so that seems fine.

There is a bit of water in the passenger footwell so I'm concerned that there may be damage to the sam unit but as far as it goes everything else appears to be working properly.

Shouldn't I be reading a 12v output from the wiper motor plug?

With the relays actuating, I believe I can rule out the wiper stalk on the steering wheel.

I believe I'm not getting power to the motor can anyone advise please?

B180 Search Community
Old 03-16-2024, 05:08 AM

Received 294 Likes on 233 Posts
2010 ML550 VIN WDC1641722A564750, 2010 B180
Id suggest you need to bench test the motor and then the power source at the plug. Sounds like the motor could be on its last legs. Id be checking the SAM though and looking for corrosion. Everything else you've said makes sense.