2012 C350 Options?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 03:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
none
2012 C350 Options?

Hi, everyone,
I'm thinking of getting a C350 recently.
I actually struggled which one to get, c250 or c350.
However, I end up leaning toward more power and less options.
So I'm wondering right now if there are any must have options that you guys will recommend?
Old 10-20-2011, 03:28 AM

C250CDI Coupe
Dynamic handling (if it's not in by default in your country) and vision pack, mostly for the headlamps but the pano roof is cool too...
Old 10-20-2011, 07:53 AM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
C204 C250-CDI
Agree, the handling package makes a huge difference and the ride quality does not suffer either in normal driving mode - at least that's the general consensus of most reviews I've read, will find out for myself in the coming weeks.

If comments like as good or better handling than equivalent BMW 3 series coupes is anything to go by, then it's a must have.

Here in Australia that package is standard on the C350 variant anyway, hope yours works out whitemoca
Old 10-20-2011, 04:16 PM

none
thanks for all the replies.
I live in US so I think the dynamic handling and the roof are by default.
What I'm wondering is that if the lighting package is really that great?
Can people from the outside tell the difference between the xenon light and the normal lighting?
Old 10-20-2011, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
Originally Posted by whitemocha
thanks for all the replies.
I live in US so I think the dynamic handling and the roof are by default.
What I'm wondering is that if the lighting package is really that great?
Can people from the outside tell the difference between the xenon light and the normal lighting?
Dynamic handling package is not default. It is actually a special order option that is well worth the money. The roof is default in the US.

The lighting package is phenomenal and makes a striking change that is easy to see.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:21 PM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

C204 C250-CDI
Originally Posted by nlpamg
The lighting package is phenomenal and makes a striking change that is easy to see.
+ 1

Xenon HID on any vehicle makes a huge difference compared to halogen lighting.

Bonus on the MB is that they are also an active/dynamic headlight assembly which assists visability when cornering
Old 10-20-2011, 06:36 PM

none
I just saw a brand new c350 today with lighting package.

There is a really obvious difference between xenon and halogen lighting lol

How about parktronic? is it worth the money too?
Old 10-20-2011, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

I just saw a brand new c350 today with lighting package.

There is a really obvious difference between xenon and halogen lighting lol

How about parktronic? is it worth the money too?
MB's implementation of parktronic sucks. I have it on the C250, I don't think it's worth it. Just get the backup camera.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:22 PM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

C204 C250-CDI
MB's implementation of parktronic sucks. I have it on the C250, I don't think it's worth it. Just get the backup camera.
+ 1 again

I'll be optioning for rear view camera as well
Old 10-20-2011, 10:29 PM

C250CDI Coupe
Speaking of the camera, one thing I didn't do on my test drive was do a reverse park or anything like that, can anyone comment on how it is to park ideally without or if you really need the camera?
Old 10-20-2011, 11:13 PM

2002 CLK 320 coupe, Black
Does the car make a beeping sound when backing up if you get to close to an adjacent vehicle (as extra protection afforded by the camera)?
Old 10-21-2011, 12:31 AM

2002 CLK 320 coupe, Black
Also, can someone confirm which wood trim option is darker: burl walnut or ash olive wood. I cannot decide which one coordinates best with the sahara beige interior (which I believe would look best with a light-colored wood trim).

And, I saw a C-coupe with its exterior, rear-view mirrors folded in when parked. Are they manually or automatically positioned into place?

Lastly, does anyone know if the split 5-spoke wheels, typically an option for the c-sedan can be installed on the 350 c-coupe?
Old 10-21-2011, 12:49 AM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

C204 C250-CDI
Originally Posted by tharsis
Speaking of the camera, one thing I didn't do on my test drive was do a reverse park or anything like that, can anyone comment on how it is to park ideally without or if you really need the camera?
It just acts as an additional aid, seeing a 'TV' view of what's behind you helps, I have one in another car of mine and it is a great feature.

It's one of those things you can certainly live without, but if you have it you won't go back

Originally Posted by OBXbeachBUM
Does the car make a beeping sound when backing up if you get to close to an adjacent vehicle (as extra protection afforded by the camera)?
From what I've been told by my sales rep, yes it makes a beeping sound and the tone and frequency of the beeps works alot better than in other cars and aftermarket devices,will be trying this feature out for myself soon enough
Old 10-21-2011, 11:04 AM

2012 BMW F30 (328i) Sport Line
What exactly does this dynamic handling package do that improves the ride so greatly? Also how much does it cost?
Old 10-21-2011, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by tharsis
It's an easy car to park. It's quite small.

Originally Posted by AV1
It just acts as an additional aid, seeing a 'TV' view of what's behind you helps, I have one in another car of mine and it is a great feature.

It's one of those things you can certainly live without, but if you have it you won't go back

From what I've been told by my sales rep, yes it makes a beeping sound and the tone and frequency of the beeps works alot better than in other cars and aftermarket devices,will be trying this feature out for myself soon enough
Your sales rep is wrong. I have BMW's park sensors on my M5 and it is head and shoulders better than the garbage MB uses. MB is using the SAME parktronic on the C-Class as what they used on the European C-Class in 2001! You have two lights strips, one on the dash and one in the rear ceiling. They light up when you're going at low speeds and they continue to get yellow to red depending on how close you get. The sound comes from a dedicated speaker and it ONLY beeps when you're close.

They need to use the car's audio system in conjunction with the in-dash display to make it work in this day in age.

Here's the display on my M5. The park sensors are in surround sound and beep at a different tone and volume depending on your distance so that you can actually hear and have a depth gauge aurally as to where you're close to.

This is the only electronic system that has disappointed me on the C204.

Also, can someone confirm which wood trim option is darker: burl walnut or ash olive wood. I cannot decide which one coordinates best with the sahara beige interior (which I believe would look best with a light-colored wood trim).

And, I saw a C-coupe with its exterior, rear-view mirrors folded in when parked. Are they manually or automatically positioned into place?

Lastly, does anyone know if the split 5-spoke wheels, typically an option for the c-sedan can be installed on the 350 c-coupe?
The side mirrors fold manually.

I have the split 5-spoke AMG wheels on my C250. They were part of the dynamic handling package, but you can also get them as a stand alone option for $1000.

Originally Posted by Ryan9095
What exactly does this dynamic handling package do that improves the ride so greatly? Also how much does it cost?
The steering rack. It's $1400 with a special order fee of $250.

Last edited by nlpamg; 10-21-2011 at 04:38 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:37 PM

C250CDI Coupe
Originally Posted by Ryan9095
My understanding is that simply improves ride performance/feel. Here's how:

The Coupe has a lowered suspension (and can be lowered further in some of the standard options). To make up for this they stiffen the suspension as you don't have as much travel in the springs like you do in the sedan.
Without it you're just relying on standard shocks and springs.
With it, it adds active dampers to the springs, the computer monitors the ride, speed of car and how the shocks are traveling and makes micro adjustments as you go along. It dynamically stiffens and softens the way the shocks are absorbed by the car making adjustments some thousands of times per second. In addition it also gives more feel back into the steering wheel as you go faster, also keeping the car flatter (less/no body roll) through the corners at higher speeds.
See this Wiki article on the specifics, I'm not sure the specific method used by MB but most modern cars are starting to fit these by default as it's another thing you can adjust allowing car makers to accommodate a wider audience, ie some people like a really soft ride, some like it a lot stiffer, active dampers can (somewhat) give both.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:55 PM

C350 Coupe
Hi, everyone,
I'm thinking of getting a C350 recently.
I actually struggled which one to get, c250 or c350.
However, I end up leaning toward more power and less options.
So I'm wondering right now if there are any must have options that you guys will recommend?
personally I think the dynamic handling is a waste of money. The car handles fine without it. Its not a 3 series but nothing is. Apparently the new F30 is implementing an electronic steering system similar to the new 6 and 5 series so I'm pretty sure pretty soon even a 3 series won't feel like a 3 series. I'm sure nlpmag will disagree but you certainly won't miss it imo.

The only thing I regret not getting on my car is Xenons...something I do miss pretty much everytime I get in the car. Though I'm getting over it. None of the shipped ones (unless you ordered) come equipped. If I could do it over I'd order the car and wait for the headlamps. I've considered retrofitting, but its pricey. And before someone suggests it, HID kits are lame and cheap. I'd do it professionally, which would cost about the same as the Xenon package ($1000).

Here's a few thoughts on the car: (btw the 5 spoke split rims are standard on the 350...but they are the 17" not the 18", you can get the 18" as an option or as part of the special order handling package...considering the package is like $1500 and the rims are $1000...well you can see what you should do if you're dying for the 18s)

I'm glad I got the 350, the 250 felt nice but the power in the 350 is really enjoyable. Though you could probably chip the turbo at some point down the line. The ride is a bit softer than a BMW (in a good way, damn RFTs) and the handling is a bit looser. It feels better than pretty much any other car I've driven however. The interior is gorgeous, and the launch cars that come with the COMAND Launch pckg and the upgraded sound system are certainly fantastic.

Here are things I don't like and as to your question about the rear view camera...the sightlines in this car are not so great. I find it very difficult to see out of the rear and side windows. This is my first coupe that I've owned (I'm 27) and I have to say the sightlines out of my 335 sedan were much better and I'm fairly sure the sightlines out of my father's M3 coupe are better. Maybe its the B pillar that messes it up. Tough to say. Therefore I HIGHLY recommend the backup camera...especially if you parallel park a lot or park in a parking garage frequently that has a lot of tight spaces / columns. But in terms of actual parking difficulty, it is a pretty small car and is not really a problem in tight space.

Other than that I have no complaints. The car is brilliant. I actually took it back to the dealer today to pick up my plates and have them reset the folding seat sensor (it thought the seat wasn't latched) and had a bunch of SAs standing around saying its the first one they've had come through (I pulled into service). So that was a nice bonding moment with some of the folks from the dealer, never a bad thing.

Last edited by jtl1230; 10-21-2011 at 05:16 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:37 PM

none
i would like to have a rear view camera installed but I thought (if I'm wrong plz correct me) that it comes with the multimedia package.

For some reasons, it will be a total waste of money for me since i do not need the navigation system at all.
Or, is there a way to just order the camera specifically.

I originally wanted the parktronic (not because i want the parking guidance) but because i thought it would alert drivers by the beeping sounds when we are about to hit sth when we are parking.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:08 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2017 GLC300 / 2021 C300
C350 Owner since Sept - Love it!

I have an Artic White C350 that came with the Comand Launch option. I really didn't want it at first but I could only find the color combination I wanted with it included.

I am really glad I spent the $2000 for it. The Comand option in the multimedia package and rear camera for about $900 less than list. The camera is mounted just below the deck lid and displays on the 7", not 5.3", color screen. It is helpful, but is view only, no car in reverse tone or any onscreen guidance.

The burl would is a medium brown and looks like real wood. The Olive Green has a greyish tone to it and I think looks man made. They both may be but I didn't like the Olive at all.

My one regret was not ordering the car and getting the dynamic handling package and lighting package. However, after a month I don't miss either, and until I go to a track day I think the handling is just fine. I came out of a BMW 128i with Sport package and really like the ride, the interior and the extra 74 Hp/68 Lb of Torque. The car is definitely faster and sounds just great!!

I switch out of cars about every 3 years, but I think I am going to be in this one for much longer!
Old 10-21-2011, 08:36 PM

C350 Coupe
i would like to have a rear view camera installed but I thought (if I'm wrong plz correct me) that it comes with the multimedia package.

For some reasons, it will be a total waste of money for me since i do not need the navigation system at all.
Or, is there a way to just order the camera specifically.

I originally wanted the parktronic (not because i want the parking guidance) but because i thought it would alert drivers by the beeping sounds when we are about to hit sth when we are parking.
the camera can be a separate option for $425...that may change as the car is out for longer. I assume they'll eventually lump it into a package.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:03 PM

C350 Coupe
best way to figure out the options is go talk to a dealer whitemocha...their options right now are not reflected on their website in an appropriate manner. The multimedia package isn't available in its entirety but you can get all the things for half the price right now. Its a little weird setup atm.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:50 PM

GLK
I just purchased (but have not yet received delivery of) my 2012 with xenons, 18" AMGs, Comand and rear view camera. However, I'm surprised to hear that there are no onscreen active parking guidelines when using the rear view camera. I specifically ordered the rear view camera as an option because I thought the guidelines would help me reverse into tight spaces.

The mbusa.com website description for the rear view camera says the rear view camera has "active parking guidelines on the screen."

Can someone with a C350 or C250 with rear view camera confirm this???

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehicl...-C/model-C350W

HERE'S THE QUOTED LANGUAGE:
Rear view camera
This innovative driver-assistance feature helps you to see directly behind your vehicle when reversing. Shift into Reverse, and a wide-angle camera mounted in the rear displays a live view of what's behind the vehicle on the COMAND screen in the dashboard. Active parking guidelines on the screen help you back into a parking space. (Disclaimer)
$460
Also available in Multimedia Package

Originally Posted by ralawren
I have an Artic White C350 that came with the Comand Launch option. I really didn't want it at first but I could only find the color combination I wanted with it included.

I am really glad I spent the $2000 for it. The Comand option in the multimedia package and rear camera for about $900 less than list. The camera is mounted just below the deck lid and displays on the 7", not 5.3", color screen. It is helpful, but is view only, no car in reverse tone or any onscreen guidance.

The burl would is a medium brown and looks like real wood. The Olive Green has a greyish tone to it and I think looks man made. They both may be but I didn't like the Olive at all.

My one regret was not ordering the car and getting the dynamic handling package and lighting package. However, after a month I don't miss either, and until I go to a track day I think the handling is just fine. I came out of a BMW 128i with Sport package and really like the ride, the interior and the extra 74 Hp/68 Lb of Torque. The car is definitely faster and sounds just great!!

I switch out of cars about every 3 years, but I think I am going to be in this one for much longer!
Old 11-08-2011, 07:18 PM

2012 C350 Coupe
Originally Posted by Wilboy
I just purchased (but have not yet received delivery of) my 2012 with xenons, 18" AMGs, Comand and rear view camera. However, I'm surprised to hear that there are no onscreen active parking guidelines when using the rear view camera. I specifically ordered the rear view camera as an option because I thought the guidelines would help me reverse into tight spaces.

The mbusa.com website description for the rear view camera says the rear view camera has "active parking guidelines on the screen."

Can someone with a C350 or C250 with rear view camera confirm this???

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehicl...-C/model-C350W

HERE'S THE QUOTED LANGUAGE:
Rear view camera
This innovative driver-assistance feature helps you to see directly behind your vehicle when reversing. Shift into Reverse, and a wide-angle camera mounted in the rear displays a live view of what's behind the vehicle on the COMAND screen in the dashboard. Active parking guidelines on the screen help you back into a parking space. (Disclaimer)
$460
Also available in Multimedia Package
I have a 2012 C350 coupe with the rear view camera and it does not have the guidelines. I tried to go into engineering mode to enable it (I saw that previous modes could enable it) but theres no option to enable it... Unless I overlooked it..
Old 11-08-2011, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

maybe there's guidelines with the multimedia package and if you got the rearview monitor as a standalone option you don't get it?
Old 11-08-2011, 09:45 PM

GLK
The quote came from mbusa.com for the C350 in the description of stand alone options. This is apparent from the standalone cost in the quote as well.

Perhaps there is a way to enable it?

If not, this is potentially false advertising for the camera features. Maybe someone cut and pasted the language from another 2012 model, but did not check to confirm whether it is available on the C-Class. I'm just speculating -- but would be nice to get an official answer since I did purchase this option with the understanding that it would have the guidelines, a feature that I wished my GLK had (but did not).

I've tried other vehicles with the guidelines and it does help with lining up straight in my opinion.

maybe there's guidelines with the multimedia package and if you got the rearview monitor as a standalone option you don't get it?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2012 C350 Options?