C180 vs C250

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 02:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C250 Sports Sedan, 2006 AMG E55
[quote=AV1;5197696]Yes this has been mentioned before here and elsewhere, not only for Australia but many other Countries have pricing on their vehicles many times more than what they sell for in the U.S and it's always been that way unfortunately even despite the current climate of the USD falling through the floor, it hasn't changed anything for others.

Well thats the rub you cant really look at the exchange rate when it comes to the dollar. It is still the worlds reserve currency and that is not going to change in the next 50 years. With the Euro over valued and close to its death that leaves two major currencys as real safe havens the USD and BP. But that luxury tax is just unreal IMHO.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
W205 C400
Originally Posted by AV1
Yes this has been mentioned before here and elsewhere, not only for Australia but many other Countries have pricing on their vehicles many times more than what they sell for in the U.S and it's always been that way unfortunately even despite the current climate of the USD falling through the floor, it hasn't changed anything for others.

That's the main one, we're slugged with 30-35% luxury car tax on Euro imported vehicles, otherwise our local car industry (GM Holden and Ford Aust.) would've been extinct long ago.
Originally Posted by 190Benz
I saw that the compression ratio also is different. So i am guessing the pistons and/or camshaft are different.
The C180 and C200 are the Same the C250CGI has a different part # for the turbo. So i think the C250 has a bigger turbo
Old 06-04-2012, 08:56 AM

190 evoII replica
I thought so. Good thing i ordered a C 250cgi coupe saterday
Old 08-14-2013, 09:11 PM

Benz
Hello,

Sorry to wake up this thread but I wonder if I should buy a C180 coupé or a CLA 250 ?

I have only this choice where I live in Asia, so what would you do ?

I really like the C180 coupé but it is not so powerful.

The problem with the CLA is that it's not a real coupé, but I like that it's a new car.

Can I know your opinion ?

Thanks a lot for your help!
Old 08-14-2013, 09:52 PM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
C204 C250-CDI
Originally Posted by luxuries
Hello,

Sorry to wake up this thread but I wonder if I should buy a C180 coupé or a CLA 250 ?

I have only this choice where I live in Asia, so what would you do ?

I really like the C180 coupé but it is not so powerful.

The problem with the CLA is that it's not a real coupé, but I like that it's a new car.

Can I know your opinion ?

Thanks a lot for your help!
Hello and welcome

This was a good ol thread so no problems about you reviving it.

As for your situation, just pick the one that ticks the most boxes for you, whichever you prefer the most for your own persoanl reasons - the interior, the layout/configuration, the engine/transmission, how long you intend keeping it, etc. etc.

Just my thoughts the CLA 250 is not that powerful either, but it does have the newer and better 2.0ltr IL4 turbo petrol engine vs the older and less powerful 1.8ltr IL4 turbo petrol of the C180 (certainly C250 petrol would've been a better option), the newer engine also has better efficiency and emissions and 'will probably' have better tuning potential in the future as the aftermarket developes - all depends on what you want in that respect.

The CLA is a 4 door sedan shaped into a coupe body whereas the C Class coupe is a proper coupe which IMHO has a timeless design that won't age easily, IMO the design/shape of the new CLA sedan will age quickly fancy body shapes with bumps and lines and curves everywhere always go that way but that's just my opinion, personally I think the hatch variant is miles ahead but that may not be available in your Country.

For mine if you definitely needed a 4 door for convenience/practicality with a modern interior, then the CLA might be the pick, however if your happy with the performance and looks/configuration of the current C180 coupe then that would be the choice.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:29 PM

Benz
Thank you for your reply.

I agree with you, a coupé is timeless and as I do not plan to sell it anytime (i don't like selling anything) I think it is a better choice to wait until it becomes vintage :-)

Even compared to the new CLA the C180 is for me a lot nicer, so I guess that I should buy this one ?

Do you know where I could find websites about c-class coupé customization ?

About the CLA some say that the dual clutch is not what people want on a Benz and that it's not a real one because it is a FWD, what do you think ?

Thank you again.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:11 PM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

C204 C250-CDI
Thank you for your reply.

I agree with you, a coupé is timeless and as I do not plan to sell it anytime (i don't like selling anything) I think it is a better choice to wait until it becomes vintage :-)

Even compared to the new CLA the C180 is for me a lot nicer, so I guess that I should buy this one ?

Do you know where I could find websites about c-class coupé customization ?

About the CLA some say that the dual clutch is not what people want on a Benz and that it's not a real one because it is a FWD, what do you think ?

Thank you again.
Again it's really all up to you and which you prefer, sounds like you really like the current C180 so go for that, I'm in the same boat in that I really love everything about the C204 Coupes and plan on keeping mine long term as well

I also plan on getting an A Class AMG sometime over the next couple of years but am holding onto my C Coupe as well.

With some of the technicalities IMHO the new 'automated manual' trans that's now being introduced is better than the current C Class's standard torque converter type auto trans, it reacts quicker, shifts up and down quicker and has less power loss through the drive train, much like a manual transmission so it provides better performance and efficiency.

The FWD part of it is what it is, most cars out there are FWD these days not surprising brands like MB will do it as well I have an Opel turbo convertible FWD car and it's not too bad at all, still prefer a RWD configuration though.

I suppose one main benifit of the FWD is efficiency, there'll be a lower power loss through the drivetrain with a FWD set up and overall drivetrain weight and therefore vehicle weight will be lower which provides the efficiency benefits.

At the end of the day though, despite this or that on the car, if you don't like the way it appeals to you then you won't buy it - it's always personal preference and Im sure most people out there wouldn't complain about owning a beaut C204 Coupe
Old 08-19-2013, 03:42 AM

Benz
Thank you so much, you are encouraging and seem to know what you are talking about.

So many people seem just interested by the new CLA just because it's new, so I was feeling weird :-)

It seems that the new C-class coupe won't be available before 2015 and it is too long to wait.

I could go for a E-class but the truth is that I like the C-class more ! I wonder if I am weird again ? haha...
Old 08-19-2013, 07:48 PM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

C204 C250-CDI
Thank you so much, you are encouraging and seem to know what you are talking about.

So many people seem just interested by the new CLA just because it's new, so I was feeling weird :-)

It seems that the new C-class coupe won't be available before 2015 and it is too long to wait.

I could go for a E-class but the truth is that I like the C-class more ! I wonder if I am weird again ? haha...
Not at all, you me and I assume the rest of us who bother to join forums and really get more involved and passionate about cars are car enthusiasts unlike people who just view a vehicle as a means of transportation only and don't really care about what they buy and drive as long as it gets them from A to B.

So making a decision on something your passionate about can take some digression

I'm sure the new W/C205 model range will be awesome, but it's too early to tell and of course why wait, if you love and can buy the current C then go for that.

E Class is a great choice, but leans more towards luxury and refinement whereas the C is more sporty but still encompasses a high level of luxury, especially if you get one with all the bells and whistles.

Hope all goes well and let us know when you do finally get your car