Nissan and Mercedes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 08:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GLK Black, Premium 1, Lighting, Multimedia, Appearance and Media Pkg, 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
Nissan and Mercedes

Don't know if this is new or old news but I thought I'd post it.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2012...n=awdailydrive
Old 01-09-2012, 08:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Yup, I posted the story on another thread here a few days ago.... Nissan will start building Mercedes engines starting with the 1.8T four slated for the C-Class and Infiniti models when the W205 starts up here in the States. What's interesting is that each will hold a 3%+ stake in the others company....

Full Story:

Nissan to build Mercedes engines in Tenn. plant

Nissan Motor Co. and Daimler AG said they have agreed to produce four-cylinder Mercedes-Benz gasoline engines at Nissan's Decherd, Tenn., engine factory from 2014 to be fitted on Mercedes-Benz and Infiniti models. Nissan and its alliance partner Renault SA have a wide-ranging agreement with Daimler to share vehicle and powertrain technologies. The automakers launched the joint effort in April 2010. "This is the newest milestone in our pragmatic collaboration and our most significant project outside of Europe so far," Renault-Nissan CEO Carlos Ghosn said in a statement Sunday. "Localized capacity reduces exposure to foreign exchange rates while rapidly enabling a good business development in North America--a win-win for the Alliance and Daimler."

Daimler touted the plan as a way to provide a direct supply of engines for the Mercedes C-class vehicles produced at Daimler's plant in Tuscaloosa, Ala. Daimler CEO Dieter Zetsche said the plan fits the German automaker's 2020 expansion program. "We have decided that we will expand the production capacities required for this (expansion) close to the customers," Zetsche said in the statement.

A Nissan-Renault spokeswoman declined comment when asked which Infiniti model would be getting the new Mercedes engine. Nissan began powertrain assembly in Decherd in 1997. The plant now makes 4-, 6- and 8-cylinder engines for U.S.-produced Nissan and Infiniti vehicles. In 2011, Nissan said the Decherd plant produced more than 580,000 engines.

The Daimler and Renault-Nissan collaboration including an equity exchange that gives the Renault-Nissan Alliance a 3.1 percent stake in Daimler and Daimler a combined 3.1 percent interest in Renault and Nissan, the companies said.

Last edited by MBRedux; 01-09-2012 at 08:52 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:09 PM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
C204 C250-CDI
That's all very interesting especially if you consider Nissan already have a relationship with Renault.

Also it's interesting to see what markets end up getting the Nissan engined MB's.

This type of collabaration isn't new, VW will be making engines for Suzuki passenger cars and Mitsubishi have been making engine components (eg. turbo chargers) for BMW for many years now
Old 01-09-2012, 09:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
I remember reading this quite a long time ago. But it was never specific, more "rumors". It seems that this article makes it "official" and specifies exactly what the deal is. Interesting to see that Nissan will be building the engines for the new C250 c-class.

In the article last year it said more about how Mercedes-Benz will be giving Infiniti engine plans for the new 3.5L that is n the C350, and also help design the IPL (Infiniti Performance Line) - their version of ///AMG. With that said, the most obvious customer of the new 3.5L engine will be the G-coupe/sedan. I believe they are also planning on adding a turbo to the engine so that it will be a sufficient, yet reliable increase over the current 3.7L engine the G37 comes with. I don't think that Mercedes will actually be building the engines for Infiniti though, rather, just share the plans on how to build them (specs).