Aftermarket Wheels - Spacer Needed?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'12 C204 C250, '05 SLK350 (sold)
Aftermarket Wheels - Spacer Needed?

So I went through the Wheel/Tire forums can't couldn't really find exactly the answer I needed. I had a similar problem on my R171 with the same setup and fixed it the same way, just wondering what you guys think.

So I'm running 19x8.5" front and 19x10" rear (supposedly with correct C-class offsets). I was provided a set of 12x1.5 bolts (cone seated) for these wheels. Now everything is kosher up front with these bolts, but when I install the aftermarket bolts to the rear, it makes a "clicking" sound when I drive (even slowly). I'm absolutely sure the bolts are slightly too long and are hitting whatever is behind the wheel hub (only slightly). This was so bad in my SLK that the wheels wouldn't even move with the new bolts and I had to get 10mm spacers.

Now since it's hitting only slightly, I'm sure it's not off that much. My 3 solutions seem to be:

1. Get slightly shorter bolts just for the rear.
2. Shave existing bolts about 3mm-5mm just for the rear.
3. Use 3mm or 5mm wheel spacers for the rears.

I found wheel spacers for $39/pair on eBay (3mm). At this thickness, does it even matter? I understand you will want solid quality spacers for thicker apps (10mm+) but for something so small, does it matter?

Thanks for any input you guys may have.