C250 Turbocharger question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 01:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 C350 Coupe 4M
C250 Turbocharger question

Hi everyone,

I just purchased by first every MB - 2012 C250 coupe in tenorite grey (+ the lighting package of course haha). Anyways, I did drive both the C250 and the C350 before finally deciding upon the 250 model (here in Canada the price difference is an extra $10,000 between the two models and I couldn't justify spending that much extra).

Anyways, I have a complete newbie question to ask. Since the C250 has a turbocharger I was wondering how that works. Does it add extra HP to existing 201hp or is it 201hp including the turbo? I'm moving up from a 2003 Buick Century (dad's old car) so this is quite a jump up for me haha!
Old 04-15-2012, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 CLK320
The engine produces 201 HP with the turbo.
C250 comes with a 1.8 liter engine, a relatively small engine. With turbo charge, it produces a decent output while keeping down the gas mileage
Old 04-15-2012, 11:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
^ What he/she said... The way a turbo works is that it takes some of the exhaust gas being expelled and enters the turbo to build up air pressure, then after cooling it down and then filtering it, the pressurized air or "boost" enters the combustion chamber allowing for more air in the combustion, allowing for more power. This is why after "tuning" the car, you can increase boost PSI than factory allows, thereby increasing torque and horsepower. But there are tradeoffs to everything, increased boost can't be handled by all components, an engine is only as strong as its weakest part. So durability and reliability is sacrificed, sometimes requiring extensive and costly internal components to allow for increased boost - safely.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C250 Sports Sedan, 2006 AMG E55
Originally Posted by jctevere
^ What he/she said... The way a turbo works is that it takes some of the exhaust gas being expelled and enters the turbo to build up air pressure, then after cooling it down and then filtering it, the pressurized air or "boost" enters the combustion chamber allowing for more air in the combustion, allowing for more power. This is why after "tuning" the car, you can increase boost PSI than factory allows, thereby increasing torque and horsepower. But there are tradeoffs to everything, increased boost can't be handled by all components, an engine is only as strong as its weakest part. So durability and reliability is sacrificed, sometimes requiring extensive and costly internal components to allow for increased boost - safely.
To add a little to that, there is a safe margin to increase HP, almost every turbo 4 out there can handle more than the factory specs with utmost reliability. In about a year you will see these little 4bangers putting out 250 Hp with min upgrades and a good tune. I think a good bench mark would be 210 WHP. The Juicebox is a cheap and effective solution to getting more power I think usable torque is increased by 40 and WHP by 24 in the Band range of the car. I believe that official rules in most road racing that have max displacement requirements require Turbo engines to add a liter to there displacement, its a true testament on how efficient turbo applications really are.

Last edited by StuttgartUSA; 05-03-2012 at 08:24 AM.