Engine Rattle/Clatter

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 GLS 550
Engine Rattle/Clatter

So, last night was the third time I have had this happen. After sitting for a few hours, and after a long drive from dallas to houston (270 miles at average speeds of 80-90MPH), I went out to the car, started it up and there is this god awful clatter for about 2-3 seconds that sounds like a dropped valve or something. Not quite as violent a sound as rod knock, but disturbing nonetheless.

Anyone else have this happen or have any ideas? It's intermittent, so I know I cant take it in for a problem that I can't recreate on demand. My only option is to just have my camera recording everytime I start the car
Old 05-20-2012, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe w/ AMG Package
Originally Posted by johnny--2k
So, last night was the third time I have had this happen. After sitting for a few hours, and after a long drive from dallas to houston (270 miles at average speeds of 80-90MPH), I went out to the car, started it up and there is this god awful clatter for about 2-3 seconds that sounds like a dropped valve or something. Not quite as violent a sound as rod knock, but disturbing nonetheless.

Anyone else have this happen or have any ideas? It's intermittent, so I know I cant take it in for a problem that I can't recreate on demand. My only option is to just have my camera recording everytime I start the car
ME!!! Its awful, i have started hating the car for all the problems I'm having

From my forum post:
" Hello, I reported some problems with my transmission on the forum a week back and didn't get much response but i figured i would share and update on my car. I went in complaining of my transmission making a weird sound when it shifts (turns out its normal), and that sometimes when shifting into reverse nothing happens, I also complained about vibration at about 55-60 mph. Turns out there is nothing they can do for the transmission, the technician said that this happened on 2009 c class models and mercedes released an update, but no update for the 2012 c class has been released. As for the vibration they said 3 out of 4 of my tires were un balanced and claimed they balanced them and everything was fine.
I leave the dealership and i have major vibration at about 45 mph, I don't go back because i didn't have time, Just today i have noticed major vibration in the engine bay, the intake is vibrating like crazy and the engine is making a strange noise when in park/ at a stop. I also noticed random acceleration problems, a 2-4 second pause when just lightly stepping on the gas and sort of pulsing acceleration (pause, accelerate, pause accelerate). Also my the car is pulling to the right when driving at all speed. "