finally... i got painted side markers for the c coupe...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2012 | 11:33 PM

2017 E400 Coupe & 2018 GLC43
finally... i got painted side markers for the c coupe...

no luck on clear markers for the c coupe as of yet... so i had them painted.

i ordered 3 oem orange sets (r & l) from the mb dealer and had them professionally painted white to match the car. if they have to get the paint gun out, i mine as well make it worth the time and have a couple extra sets just in case.

what do you think?

hated the eye sore orange.

Last edited by andrew e coupe; 05-31-2012 at 11:37 PM.
Old 05-31-2012 | 11:37 PM

2009 C300, 2012 GLK350, 2012 C350C
i like it!...better than orange.

what color white is your C?
Old 05-31-2012 | 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by hellasmania219
i like it!...better than orange.

what color white is your C?
~ arctic white
Old 05-31-2012 | 11:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by andrew c coupe
no luck on clear markers for the c coupe as of yet... so i had them painted.

what do you think?
A terrible idea. The lights are there for a purpose after years of study on their safety value. You could have delayed immediate gratification until new side markers went on sale, and then installed clear lenses with white surrounds with stealth bulbs and done very well without increasing the risk of a side impact.
Old 06-01-2012 | 12:05 AM

2012 C350 Coupe
Originally Posted by Sportstick
A terrible idea. The lights are there for a purpose after years of study on their safety value. You could have delayed immediate gratification until new side markers went on sale, and then installed clear lenses with white surrounds with stealth bulbs and done very well without increasing the risk of a side impact.
I don't really think those two eye sore orange reflectors are really gonna help prevent accidents, I believe its some north American standard .Personally the white reflectors look really good, would you mind posting up a part number. The car already has more lights than a Christmas tree to begin with.
Old 06-01-2012 | 12:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by DaMerce
I don't really think those two eye sore orange reflectors are really gonna help prevent accidents, I believe its some north American standard .Personally the white reflectors look really good, would you mind posting up a part number. The car already has more lights than a Christmas tree to begin with.
You are likely not familiar with the lengthy process of regulatory rulemaking by NHTSA, validation of cost/benefit studies by the General Accounting Office, comments and input by the public and manufacturers, all before the rule requiring the lights could be issued as part of the U.S. Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. The data demonstrating the effect of front side marker lamps (not just reflectors...they illuminate) had to be well documented and supported, and if questionable, was subject to judicial review and possible reversal if the industry wished to make a challenge. This process applies to all lights on the vehicle, each with its own data-supported purpose. So, with all due respect, an opinion without the facts is not compelling. Those who diminish or delete exterior lighting don't just risk themselves; they risk involving someone else who no longer sees them as easily, as compared to what they have come to expect from other surrounding vehicles.
Old 06-01-2012 | 08:16 AM

2012 C350 Coupe, 1996 Porsche 993 C4S, 2008 Audi A3, 1928 model A Coupe hot rod, 2003 Mini Cooper S.
I have to respectfully agree with Sportstick, while I really don't care for the orange lenses, I'll wait for clear lenses that still illuminate and make the car more visible. The clear lenses, IMO, also simply look better than what now looks like a painted bump.
Old 06-01-2012 | 08:52 PM

2012 c250 Coupe
looks better than the orange, but yeah might increase accidents
Old 06-01-2012 | 09:27 PM
Super Moderator
MBWorld Ambassador

2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
Looks good, OP!

I respectfully disagree with sportstick as well.

I had mine painted as well. The EU has more stringent standards than NHTSA and they don't require the cars to have such sidemarkers. Japanese vehicles don't need them either. I think they're just superfluous on most imported cars.

Clear sidemarkers from eBay from a Chinese seller/manufacturer with a light in them wouldn't be better as well.

I have all my cars painted (or put in Euro Impact strips) and/or change out the orange reflectors to OEM clears:

Old 09-05-2012 | 12:46 AM

2011 E350, 2013 C250 Coupe Sport Package Plus
I understand that the lights are necessary for safety. But why make it orange? Why not make it clear/smoke with orange bulb? I've seen Ferraris without the side markers and inside they have the tag that states "This vehicle conforms to all applicable Federal motor vehicle safety. bumper, and theft prevention standards...".
I have a new C250 steel gray. The side markers look awful and I think the designer is crying in his bed at Germany when he sees what US standards made to his car. I can't wait to have the smoked or clear side markers.
Old 09-05-2012 | 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by E350FL
I understand that the lights are necessary for safety. But why make it orange? Why not make it clear/smoke with orange bulb? I've seen Ferraris without the side markers and inside they have the tag that states "This vehicle conforms to all applicable Federal motor vehicle safety. bumper, and theft prevention standards...".
Very low volume manufacturers are able to apply and receive exemptions for particular requirements on a case-by-case basis. Once an exemption is approved, they are in compliance with the applicable standards for them. I believe the standard would allow for a white bulb with amber lens or amber bulb with translucent lens, as long as the lumens (brightness) and color meet the performance requirement for lighting, based on the research which supported the original rulemaking.
Old 09-05-2012 | 10:52 PM

2005 C55
Originally Posted by Sportstick
You are likely not familiar with the lengthy process of regulatory rulemaking by NHTSA, validation of cost/benefit studies by the General Accounting Office, comments and input by the public and manufacturers, all before the rule requiring the lights could be issued as part of the U.S. Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. The data demonstrating the effect of front side marker lamps (not just reflectors...they illuminate) had to be well documented and supported, and if questionable, was subject to judicial review and possible reversal if the industry wished to make a challenge. This process applies to all lights on the vehicle, each with its own data-supported purpose. So, with all due respect, an opinion without the facts is not compelling. Those who diminish or delete exterior lighting don't just risk themselves; they risk involving someone else who no longer sees them as easily, as compared to what they have come to expect from other surrounding vehicles.
thats why my girlfriend put a European bumper on her C250

Old 12-06-2012 | 11:10 AM

E400 Cabriolet
Hey OP, thanks for the post. I was wondering if the light could be seen through the painted whites.. If it's not too much trouble, maybe a picture as well?

Also, do you have any of them for sale?
Old 12-07-2012 | 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by jameshkim87
Hey OP, thanks for the post. I was wondering if the light could be seen through the painted whites.. If it's not too much trouble, maybe a picture as well?

Also, do you have any of them for sale?
~ the light does slightly shine through but at more of a 'glow'. i tried to take a pic but the light in the pic looks much more apparent than it truly is in person.

i do have one extra new set for sale in 'arctic white'.

Old 12-07-2012 | 04:03 PM

E400 Cabriolet
OO that's totally fine.
The only problem is that the online website states my color is Polar white for my 2013 c250. I cant find an arctic white. Is it the same color? If so, it'd be great if you could PM me your offer for the set and a brief installation description.
Thanks so much!
Old 12-07-2012 | 07:36 PM

C250 Coupe
andrew,

when i had my 09 c300 i did the same; painted over the orange markers. I figured the light would still show, so what i did was leave the bulb hanging, and did not insert it into its original location, that way, there was no light showing at al.

hope this helps!
Old 12-08-2012 | 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by jameshkim87
OO that's totally fine.
The only problem is that the online website states my color is Polar white for my 2013 c250. I cant find an arctic white. Is it the same color? If so, it'd be great if you could PM me your offer for the set and a brief installation description.
Thanks so much!
~ a different white.
Old 12-08-2012 | 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by MBBonus
When i had my 09 c300 i did the same; painted over the orange markers. I figured the light would still show, so what i did was leave the bulb hanging, and did not insert it into its original location, that way, there was no light showing at all.
~ i sprayed my bulbs with black high temp paint (2 coats)... perhaps i could add more coats or go the suggested route. thanks!
Old 12-10-2012 | 08:47 PM

2013 C204
How do I go about removing these side markers is it time consuming?