Leaving parking lamps on while driving

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 11:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 C350 Coupe 4M
Question Leaving parking lamps on while driving

Hi everyone,

I love the HID lights on my MB but right now the only daytime running lights are the ones placed at the bottom (I think the manual refers to them as fog lights). We also have the amazing looking "C" shaped lights but those only turn on when the HID lights are also on (at night). I found it weird that MB decided not to make them part of the daytime running lights.

My question - I found that if you switch from Auto light mode to Parking light mode, you can get both the bottom fog lights and the C shaped lights to be on during the day while driving. Does anyone know of any adverse side-effects? Will this cause any sort of damage to the C lights/greatly decrease longevity?

Thanks in advance!

Leaving parking lamps on while driving-t0fzn.png
Old 06-05-2012, 12:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by Jubair Ahmed
Hi everyone,

I love the HID lights on my MB but right now the only daytime running lights are the ones placed at the bottom (I think the manual refers to them as fog lights). We also have the amazing looking "C" shaped lights but those only turn on when the HID lights are also on (at night). I found it weird that MB decided not to make them part of the daytime running lights.

My question - I found that if you switch from Auto light mode to Parking light mode, you can get both the bottom fog lights and the C shaped lights to be on during the day while driving. Does anyone know of any adverse side-effects? Will this cause any sort of damage to the C lights/greatly decrease longevity?

Thanks in advance!

Is this a US car? I'm guessing not? If we turn on the parking lamps the front DRL LED strips turn off. I see that the illustration from that manual shows a button for front FOGS, so does your car have fog lights rather than the DRL LED strips?

To answer your question, no it really isn't a problem to leave them on.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:27 AM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
C204 C250-CDI
I have an Australian market C Coupe and it too will not do that

It will only fire up the park lights and the DRL's will turn off in that switch position.

What Country / spec is your C Class ??

Having both the DRL's and C Cpark lights on at the same time while driving is what I've wanted to get happening in mine since I got it, the only time you ever have those 2 lights on at one time is after parking and engine is switched off as courtesy lights with either a 15 or 60 second delay.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C-Class Coupe 2012
I don't have the switch that is numbered "7" in that diagram. My NZ (and Aus) spec car has only the switch numbered "6".

Switch 7 (or front fog lights) seems to be the one that turns on the C lights.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 C350 Coupe 4M
This is a Canadian 2012 C350. I am able to turn on both the C and DRL LED (I don't have fog lights). The manual shows an image for rear and front fogs but on our models we only have the front fog button. When I press that it turns off the DRL LED and instead turns on the bi-xenon lights.

In Canada all cars need to have daytime running lights by law.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:54 PM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
C204 C250-CDI
This is a Canadian 2012 C350. I am able to turn on both the C and DRL LED (I don't have fog lights). The manual shows an image for rear and front fogs but on our models we only have the front fog button. When I press that it turns off the DRL LED and instead turns on the bi-xenon lights.

That's interesting on ours we only have the rear fog light button.

Switching that on also switches off the front DRL's on our cars.

I still want to find out a way of getting both the C and DRL lights on at the same time in our cars, I wonder if the wiring looms are exactly rthe same for all markets ?? it may then be possible by installing the front fog light button / headlight assembly switch like the the ones in your Canadian vehicles.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C350 Coupe 4matic

Thats odd, I have a Canadian '12 C350 4matic and yeah, My LED strips are on all the time, and when i turn the knob to "3" it turns my strips off but turns on the xenons and the "c" lights.

I also only have a "7" and not a "6" but when i push that it just turns my LED's off and on.. I dont really know what the Parking lights do as I was really only testing this last night from the reflection from the car in front of me at a stop light lol.