Print Wikipost

Acceleration problem. Engine light on

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E350, 2013 C250 Coupe Sport Package Plus
Acceleration problem. Engine light on

I don't know if this happened before. I've read some post but they talk about alignment also, so I will tell you my problem.

I was accelerating on the highway and the car suddenly slowed down. Then, even if I stepped on the gas, it wont go fast. The check engine light went on (the yellow one). Car is less than 500 miles and only one week old.

Is a 2013 C250 sport package.

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by E350FL; 09-09-2012 at 07:28 PM. Reason: I've put 500k instead of miles.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:58 PM

99' Lexus RX300-retired, 01' BMW 330i
If the engine light was on then there is a error code stored in the computer. I would scan it with the ODB scanner and see what code it has before visiting the dealer. GL
Old 09-09-2012, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by Showa
If the engine light was on then there is a error code stored in the computer. I would scan it with the ODB scanner and see what code it has before visiting the dealer. GL
Thanks. I don't have an ODB reader. I've sent an email to the service person that always takes care of my cars at the dealer, asking him to send me a towing. The car is under warranty and only one week on the street. I hope is nothing serious. I've read other posts where there was some problem with the gas pump and they took like two weeks to get the part. I hope is a software problem. Thanks again for your response.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
This may sound like a silly question - but did you try to turn off the car and restart it - to see if that fixed the issue?

If it did, its very likely that your vehicle hit overboost and went into limp mode. A simple restarts gets the car out of this mode. Sometimes the check engine light gets illuminated, other times it does not. If the car drives normal, you may need to just clear the code with a scanner.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by jctevere
This may sound like a silly question - but did you try to turn off the car and restart it - to see if that fixed the issue?

If it did, its very likely that your vehicle hit overboost and went into limp mode. A simple restarts gets the car out of this mode. Sometimes the check engine light gets illuminated, other times it does not. If the car drives normal, you may need to just clear the code with a scanner.
I turned it off, then turned it on again. Since the light was on, I didn't want to drive it. I just called the dealer and the towing is gonna be here in 20 minutes. I will keep posts of what they tell me. Most because I've seen other post with this kind of problem before. I will post what the service department says and if this happens again in the future.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:01 PM

C63s Wagon 2019
Similar thing

I had a similar thing happen recently with my 220 CDI.
I had it on Cruise Control when it all of a sudden entered limp mode.

Tried shutting it down and start again, but no luck.
Later in the afternoon i drove it to the Merc dealer (still in limp mode), when a mechanic started the car, the limp mode was gone...

Haven't seen it since.

The mechanic told me that it's perfectly safe to drive the car as long as the engine light is orange, if it turns red you need to stop asap though.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
Well, I don't believe the check engine light ever turns red. I believe what he was referring to was a solid check engine light or a blinking one. A solid check engine light is usually not severe and is safe to drive on. However, a blinking check engine light means that you should pull over asap and when safe and turn off the vehicle.

You should have tried to restart and drive a little to see if the car exited limp mode (which it most likely would have). The Check Engine light stays illuminated until the car recognizes the issue hasn't occurred for an unspecified amount of miles, or you manually clear it.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by jctevere
Well, I don't believe the check engine light ever turns red. I believe what he was referring to was a solid check engine light or a blinking one. A solid check engine light is usually not severe and is safe to drive on. However, a blinking check engine light means that you should pull over asap and when safe and turn off the vehicle.

You should have tried to restart and drive a little to see if the car exited limp mode (which it most likely would have). The Check Engine light stays illuminated until the car recognizes the issue hasn't occurred for an unspecified amount of miles, or you manually clear it.
Today, when I was trying to put the car on the flatbed truck, the car wont go up. Only if I changed to Sport mode and put 1st gear. If I try to step on the gas, the car is like "slow", kind of when you drive a manual gear car and try to accelerate on 4th gear from zero.

Tomorrow they will tell me what is happening. I'll keep you posted.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 ml350 bluetec
I am having the same issues with our 2013 c250, 17,000 miles on it. It has been 3 times now that I accelerate on the highway and the car goes into limp mode, check engine light comes on. First time it occurred, I pressed the MBrace button and was told by the operator to turn car off, remove gas cap for a few seconds. Did this and all was fine on restart. Second time it occurred was when accelerating onto highway from rest-stop, almost got in accident as car would only go about 50 mph while trying to merge, pulled over at next exit and did same, turned car off, opened gas cap, vented, the all was fine. Sent to dealer last week to check out this issues as it has become a safety concern to me and my wife (her car). Dealer checked for computer updates, but all had been done recently. Dealer could not reproduce problem. Got car back on Thursday and this Sunday, while travelling at 55mph, floored it to make a pass, car made the pass and then when in to limp mode again. This is crazy, if you can not accelerate to pass, what good is the turbo. I read in a post above that the cars may hit overboost? I have owned several turbo cars (some not as sophisticated) and had never had an overboost issue where a car would go into limp mode (feels like a blown cylinder when this happens on the c250). What can be done about this, its a scary feeling when you attempt a pass and the car bogs down just when you need it to speed up. Any suggestions?
The following users liked this post:
albi007 (07-09-2021)
Old 02-24-2014, 04:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
c250 coupe .2012 e550 coupe
Having the same problem as well when the check engine light comes on it places a Pressure on the engine then the car slow down by it self even if u try to speed up it still gos @ the same speed " when this happen the check engine light stays on for a day r a fews hours " the first time this happen I put over an turn the car off an it took a while to start
Old 02-24-2014, 11:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Its come from fuel which make ECU got a problem and run in safe mode or home mode, change your gas station or try another brand will help.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:39 AM

2012 C Class 200 CDI Amg Sport in White
2012 C Class 200 amg sport loss of power

Hello I am new to the forum and thought I would express an incident that happened yesterday with my car.

I was driving through Tottenham court road in london when my start stop activated. All normal until it deactivated and I went to set off again. I felt a bump as if someone bumped into the back of my car but nobody was behind me. I drove on and stopped at a next set of lights. As I pulled off the car started shuddering violently. It seemed like it couldn't initiate into any gear. The car has done 16000 miles on the clock and I bought it second hand from a mercedes dealer. Only one previous owner.

I pulled over to the side of the road after pushing my foot right down to the floor to even get any power. Had to wait nearly 2 hours for mercedes break down people to come and get me. I got a courtesy car and my car is now at colindale mercedes.

I didn't notice no lights flashing up and the engine Managment light is on when the ignition is half way and turns off when the ignition is turned fully and the engine is on. Car still reverses and moves forward but has a terrible shuddering motion to it.

I'm praying it's covered under warranty! Should hear something today.

What do you guys think it could be?

Your responses would be gladly appreciated.

Jordan
Old 11-03-2015, 12:43 AM

C 200 Cdi 2012
Accelertion problem

Had the same problem.
Took the princess to the garge and found that the air mass detector was foulty.
Old 12-22-2016, 04:46 AM

350 cdi AMG BlueEff
acceleration problem - check engine icon

Hi guys,
I have exactly the same problem, waiting for the mechanics to announce the verdict.
@Jordan999 what was the problem in your case mate please?

I'm in Belgium atm in the hotel waiting for the courtesy car. This happened to me last night when drove with my family. Pretty bad experience tbh.

I will update this thread once heard from the Merc what's going on.

Update:
This was gearbox cooling system failure.
Previous owner probably had some accident hitting bottom of the car on some curb (or something similar) breaking in the same time pipe providing cooling liquid for the cooling system.
Pipe replaced, all good since that time

Last edited by steve_wonder; 12-28-2016 at 06:57 AM. Reason: update
Old 07-27-2017, 06:51 PM

2010 glk350 Mercedes
engine light"on"

Hi folks,
this morning I turned my ignition on only to notice that the engine light was on and never went off even after driving it the whole day. At first I panicked, checked the oil level which seemed ok and after driving for few minutes I didn't notice any drop in the performance of the car. Should I still be worried about this or just ignore it
Old 10-15-2017, 05:59 AM

C250 Sport
I know this is a widespread problem with our models as I've been reading however I just wanted to add mine to the list as I just bought a '13 C250 sport about a month ago. The error code was for the Mass Air Flow sensor and Manifold Absolute Pressure. Still under warranty but the dealer had my car for 8 days and replaced the entire ECU and sensors.... 2 weeks after getting my car back the CEL is back on and giving the exact same error codes.... Anyone? anyone? Car runs fine I suppose but I don't understand why this is not solved by now. I also have yet to put any aftermarket performance on it so the car is all Mercedes.
Old 02-19-2020, 04:11 PM

E350 Sport Sedan
Low or High pressure fuel pump.. Just had both of mine replaced.. Figured if one goes the other is on its way.. My car has 60k miles on it.. Same check engine code and no power. Car goes into Limp mode just to get you home or to dealer.
Old 07-09-2021, 04:04 AM

honda crv
Acceleration problem!

Hey I’m having the same exact problem on my car. Was wondering if you ever fixed it. If you did, what was the exact problem with it?
Old 12-04-2021, 08:26 PM

2021 GLC 43
Hi All - this just happened to me today. I have a 2021 GLC 43 AMG. I was driving on the highway in sport+ mode. Went to downshift (current gear was 5 and below 2500 rpm) to pass someone and all of the sudden the car was moving as if it had no power and the CEL came on in yellow. The car then reverted into comfort and auto start stop was back on (I always turn it off when I start my car). I got off at the next exit, turned the car off, and then turned it back on. CEL light was still on in yellow. I called my dealership and was able to drive it over to them. They gave me a loaner for the weekend. This is a NEW 2021 GLC 43 with 1840 miles on it. I followed proper break in requirements and car was only pushed to 5000rpm AFTER 1500 miles. A bit annoyed that as soon as break in period ended I get this problem...anyone know what issue this could be with the engine?

Thanks!
Old 02-20-2022, 09:15 AM

C250 E350
C250's SLK have a high pressure fuel pump issue, just recently announced Nov 21 that MB will warranty up to 10 yrs and 120K mile and will repair or reimburse past cost regardless of ownership. I have had two cars with same issue heavy acceleration to limp mode CEL on. Resets after turning ignition off. P0002 code. Take it to a Dealer have it repaired for free.
Old 06-06-2023, 12:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
mercedez
I apologize for bringing up this old thread. I had a similar issue with my vehicle recently; I didn’t know what to do at first but when I hit up the internet, I came across an in-depth article that may be worth reading. Search for "BMW Check Engine Light Half vs Full Meaning on YOUCANIC" and you will see an article that goes over common causes and possible fixes. You can read about it yourself. I hope this information can assist someone else with a similar issue.
Old 06-16-2023, 02:00 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2012 C350 4matic Coupe
Originally Posted by luffy09876
I apologize for bringing up this old thread. I had a similar issue with my vehicle recently; I didn’t know what to do at first but when I hit up the internet, I came across an in-depth article that may be worth reading. Search for "BMW Check Engine Light Half vs Full Meaning on YOUCANIC" and you will see an article that goes over common causes and possible fixes. You can read about it yourself. I hope this information can assist someone else with a similar issue.

​A lot of these sound like could be the Accelerator Pedal Sensor. Had this problem for YEARS and finally cleaned, shaved off a little of the plastic, and put back together. Has been fine since? Hope this helps someone someday
Old 07-08-2023, 06:09 AM

Mercedes-Benz viano vauxhall zafira renault clio
Mercedes viano

Hi, Just seen this thread about power loss on acceleration which I currently have on my 2010 2.2 viano. I get code p0087 for fuel rail system pressure to low bank 1. So far nothing is working in regard to repairs. Any one have similar?